Rhubarb wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okemasis

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just chopped and froze enough rhubarb for a 23 liter batch. Jack Keller's my go to guy (like most of us I think) and he suggests an oz. of precipitated chalk per gallon to remove the excessive oxalic acid.

Can anyone comment on their experiences with/without the chalk. My local winery sells rhubarb wine, and I'd like to ask him, but it seems wrong to get advice from him in order to save $18 a bottle on his wine!

Any other rhubarb tips would be appreciated!

thanks,
Iano

Bottled: 2012 Apple cider, 2012 Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
Bulk Aging: 2012 Heavy Bodied blackberry
Fermenting: Orange cranberry, raspberry

I've made several batches of rubarb wine. I never used chalk. It comes out very good! I've used the recipie in the ECKrouse catalog. With Lavin 1116 yeast. The only issues I have had was one batch refused to clear on its own, and there is never enough in a batch!
10 galleons pure rubarb wine, 4 galleons mixed, with enough for a second 10 galleons in the freezer. So far this year. Last years 8 galleons are almost gone!

I love Luc Volder's process for easily balancing the acidity of pure rhubarb, sans chalk... http://www.drinksforum.com/winemaking/new-method-for-de-acidifying-rhubarb-11620-.htm

Just remember if you add chalk preferment you will need sufficient aging/chill time so the chalk precipitates out. Good stuff rhubarb wine.

Plus, talk to that winemaker, most LOVE to talk to amateur winemakers & you may end up with a new friend.

Back