Chemistry Presentation Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbfan101

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

My teacher gave our class the option of presenting a topic that we're interested in and tying it back to chemistry. I felt like home brewing is a great source of chemistry and something that would also interest the class. I just need help finding reputable sources. I would love to find answers to questions like:

What do yeast produce during fermentation besides CO2 and alcohol?

How do yeast "clean up" after themselves?

What effects do different ions have on beer and how?

Basically, I would really like to show the chemistry of mashing and fermentation. Being able to show chemical equations and explaining concepts is the main goal here. The sources don't need to be scholarly reviewed journals or anything, they just need to be reputable and, most importantly, make sense!

Much appreciated,

Pat

There is an article on diacetyl in the October issue of BYO - "The Dreaded Diacetyl - Minimizing vicinal diketones" with some chemical diagrams. If you don't have a subscription you can still probably find an issue at your LHBS.

Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation is a great book that has plenitful amounts of information ranging from yeast by-products, to conversion of acetaldehyde to ethanol. There is even a bit in there about ions effect on yeast causing them to rise to the surface creating what we know and Krausen. I know my post may be a bit late in terms of your paper, but if not I strongly recommend the book.

SirJoshuaIV,

The presentation has come and gone, but I consider a good book recommendation invaluable. This will be on my bookshelf soon, much appreciated!

Best regards,

Pat

Back