Watery again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
My first 1 gallon batch was an all grain ipa, it came out awesome

My second batch was a 1 gal all grain american wheat, it came out watery

My third batch which i am doing now was a 5 gallon extract with partial grain...It was a 5 gallon kit but i ended up with 6 gallons. I think I may have diluted it too much...I started with too much starting water. Didn't lose as much as planned during the boil. I used calculators to figure starting boil which was 6.5 gal, possibly I need to boil more aggressively. OG came out 1.043 and Test1 gravity at 11 days is 1.014. Im going to give it a few days to finish up but another disappointment. Ill keep trying!!

In wood shop class. you can always cut off but never add on. Measure twice and cut once. your starting water and boil off is what killed you.

For what it's worth I had this issue when i got started due to the burner I was using. It BARELY brought 5 gallons to a boil, I never really achieved a roiling boil. If you can't get a good aggressive boil with your current setup cut your initial volume a bit and you should be fine.

Once I built my system and upgraded the burners I realized what a REAL boil was ;)

:mug:

OG came out 1.043 and Test1 gravity at 11 days is 1.014. Im going to give it a few days to finish up but another disappointment. Ill keep trying!!

It's only 11 days into fermentation and you're already calling it a disappointment? Give it a chance ;) If it finishes at 1.014 it really shouldn't be "watery", that's a pretty good FG for a lot of styles. Won't have as much alcohol as planned, but at least let it finish fermenting, bottle it up, let it carbonate for 3 weeks, and give it a shot before you condemn it! Might turn out to be a nice session beer.

I vote give it a chance and see what it does on its own. Beer loves us and wants to make us happy.:D
If after a couple couple weeks conditioning, it still seems "waterey", give it to those friends that ask "Yea, but can you brew a Bud?":rockin:

My first 1 gallon batch was an all grain ipa, it came out awesome

My second batch was a 1 gal all grain american wheat, it came out watery

My third batch which i am doing now was a 5 gallon extract with partial grain...It was a 5 gallon kit but i ended up with 6 gallons. I think I may have diluted it too much...I started with too much starting water. Didn't lose as much as planned during the boil. I used calculators to figure starting boil which was 6.5 gal, possibly I need to boil more aggressively. OG came out 1.043 and Test1 gravity at 11 days is 1.014. Im going to give it a few days to finish up but another disappointment. Ill keep trying!!

You say your OG was 43, what was the recipe OG value?

Some recipes will give you an expected pre-boil gravity baed on batch size (all software-based recipes will) which is a very useful tool for getting the kettle volume correct.

It is also helpful to take the time near the end of your boil to do a gravity reading and see how it compares to your target. If you are low just keep boiling or add a bit more DME, if you are high, add some water and keep going.

EDIT: This is a little tricky if you are going partial boils...much easier with full boils.

Give that beer a chance, it is very early in its fermentation.

How do you know it's "watery" is it finished? or is it still in the primary? From what i get from here, your only 2 weeks in, you still have at least 3 more to go. your OG and FG look fine should be right around 4%

Looks like everybody is giving the same consensus. I need to wait it out more. I cant seem to find the paper that showed final gravity estimation. I think it was 1.05 or so.

3 more weeks to go eh? I thought once fg stabilizes it was done. Are you referring to bottle conditioning time as well?

Back