American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan on brewing the original all grain recipe from the first page but my LHBS didn't have amber malt so they gave me brown malt as a sub. I've never used brown malt before, has anyone tried it in this recipe? I also can't decide if I want to use Wyeast Ringwood ale yeast or S-05. Suggestions?

Brown malt isn't a good sub, but in such a small amount you could try it and see. I'd rather use biscuit malt, victory malt, or even aromatic malt or Munich malt before brown malt. I'm not a ringwood ale yeast fan, as I get too much diacetyl from it, but I think it's actually the "correct" yeast to use!

Brown malt isn't a good sub, but in such a small amount you could try it and see. I'd rather use biscuit malt, victory malt, or even aromatic malt or Munich malt before brown malt. I'm not a ringwood ale yeast fan, as I get too much diacetyl from it, but I think it's actually the "correct" yeast to use!

Why the previous recommendation of crystal as a sub for amber?

My favorite recipe! I love this brew. This is the first brew that I've kegged and it continues to surpass my expectations. I've made this four times and it's great every time!

So I just brewed the extract version of this and used American Ale yeast from wyeast. It seems fermentation has all but stopped after 4 1/2 days. The airlock has a bubble once every 20-30 seconds. Should I go ahead and rack to secondary now or wait a while longer?

So I just brewed the extract version of this and used American Ale yeast from wyeast. It seems fermentation has all but stopped after 4 1/2 days. The airlock has a bubble once every 20-30 seconds. Should I go ahead and rack to secondary now or wait a while longer?

What is the gravity at? I never went to secondary and just dry hopped in the primary for a week.

If it were me, I'd wait at least a total of 2 weeks in the primary, and that is only if you're rushing. I like 3 weeks...then dry hop in the secondary for a week. Or, just dry hop int he primary.

Hey all - thanks to Yooper and everyone else on this thread for sharing the recipe and your experiences/tweaks!

I'm making this brew for the 2nd time tomorrow. The first time was extract + specialty grains, but tomorrow is going to be my first foray into all grain brewing. I'm pretty excited.

I live in Singapore and it's sometimes tough to get the exact ingredients, so I unfortunately had to make some substitutions. In lieu of the 13lbs 2-row, I'm using 13lbs Joe White (Australia) pale malt and instead of the Thomas Fawcett amber I'm using 6oz Maris Otter. Hops-wise (and it makes me sad that I can't get the Simcoe or Amarillo), I'm subbing Galena for Warrior and Cascade for Simcoe and Amarillo. Do you guys think these are decent subs? Should I make any adjustments in terms of grain bill or hops amounts? Yeast-wise I'm using Wyeast 1056.

Also - what mash temp do you guys generally try to hit with this recipe?

Also also - my kettle is about 7.5 gallons; will that cut it or do I need to move up to a 10 gallon? It would be good to have 2 anyway, so I think I should just go for the 10 gallon.

Thanks in advance!

Dunno about the hops subs (I'm doing this on my phone), but I do know you can make your own amber. Take 2-row (or whatever) and bake it on a cookie sheet at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

D_Nyholm said:
What is the gravity at? I never went to secondary and just dry hopped in the primary for a week.

Just took a reading...O.G was 1.062
6 days in primary I'm at 1.012
Tasted dry and it definitely needs the dry hopping
Still think I should wait to rack to secondary?

Just took a reading...O.G was 1.062
6 days in primary I'm at 1.012
Tasted dry and it definitely needs the dry hopping
Still think I should wait to rack to secondary?

Personally, i would give it a few more days to a week and then dry hop. Even though you are pretty dry, the yeasties are still cleaning up in there. I guess it would do the cleanup while you are dry hopping, but i would rather be safe than sorry. Ill let a more experienced brewer take this question -)

You want to dry hop 7-10 days before you bottle; if you dry hop now you'll be bottling/kegging at just over two weeks.

I'd let it sit in the primary at least another 10 days, even 15 before thinking about hopping it up.

If you dry hop too early a lot of that aroma will leave with the CO2 off-gassing.

Hi all. I'm new and excited to brew this batch. I'm doing an extract batch for now.

I also have some questions if you don't mind.

1. I didn't realize until I got home, but my LHBS gave me an extra light extract with color 2. Is that going to be too light?

2. When I enter the recipe from the first post into my iPad beer app (iBrewMaster), I get some pretty different FG and IBU. This is my first time using the app, so maybe I have something set up wrong in the software. My numbers are FG 1.018, and IBU 60.6. When I set up the recipe, I didn't try to account for the unique hopping schedule, so maybe that's why the IBU is different? Not sure why the FG is so different. Any thoughts?

3. And finally, just want to confirm fermentation temp should be around 63 or so.

Thanks!

Hi all. I'm new and excited to brew this batch. I'm doing an extract batch for now.

I also have some questions if you don't mind.

1. I didn't realize until I got home, but my LHBS gave me an extra light extract with color 2. Is that going to be too light?

2. When I enter the recipe from the first post into my iPad beer app (iBrewMaster), I get some pretty different FG and IBU. This is my first time using the app, so maybe I have something set up wrong in the software. My numbers are FG 1.018, and IBU 60.6. When I set up the recipe, I didn't try to account for the unique hopping schedule, so maybe that's why the IBU is different? Not sure why the FG is so different. Any thoughts?

3. And finally, just want to confirm fermentation temp should be around 63 or so.

Thanks!

1. That's perfect!
2. Ignore the FG number- software just seems to take a % of the OG and use that, no matter what the ingredients are. The IBUs should be fine with the recipe as written.
3. You can go warmer if you have to, but it all depends on the yeast strain you're using. So5 seems to taste better at more like 65-68, but nottingham is better around 62, as is S04 (for dry yeast) for examples. Let your yeast strain dictate fermentation temperature! If you need help, let us know which strain you're using and we can give you pointers.

Yooper said:
1. That's perfect!
2. Ignore the FG number- software just seems to take a % of the OG and use that, no matter what the ingredients are. The IBUs should be fine with the recipe as written.
3. You can go warmer if you have to, but it all depends on the yeast strain you're using. So5 seems to taste better at more like 65-68, but nottingham is better around 62, as is S04 (for dry yeast) for examples. Let your yeast strain dictate fermentation temperature! If you need help, let us know which strain you're using and we can give you pointers.

Thanks so much!

My yeast is 1056. It's probably easier for me to go a little higher in ferm temp - around 66 or so. Is that ok for 1056?

Can't wait to make/taste this one!

Has anyone had luck with extract and partial boils on this beer? My partial boil beers always end up really sweet. I'm not sure if its extract I'm tasting, but they never seem full bodied (and/or like the original I'm cloning) regardless of my fermentation temps.

Has anyone had luck with extract and partial boils on this beer? My partial boil beers always end up really sweet. I'm not sure if its extract I'm tasting, but they never seem full bodied (and/or like the original I'm cloning) regardless of my fermentation temps.

An IPA is really hard to do as a partial boil because of the way hops oils are. In a nutshell, you can only get a max of about 100 IBUs worth of hops oils to isomerize in a solution. That's ok for most beers, and for AG. But in a partial boil, say you're boiling 2.5 gallons. Even if you get the max of about 100 IBUs in solution, when you top up with another 2.5 gallons of water (at 0 IBUs), you cut your IBUs in half. That's why a partial boil IPA can end up tasting sweeter than a full boil counterpart.

To try to counteract that, you could try to boil as much as you possibly can, and add the bulk of the extract at the end of the boil. It might not fix it completely, but it may help enough to make the beer not taste sweet.

Is there a way to use this recipe to figure out how to brew the 90 min too?

check out this thread

Essentially just upping the quantities of everything a bit.
The 90 was actually around first and then they made the 60 to have something more sessionable, so it makes sense that they are close in recipe.

the 90 is probably my favorite beer but can't exactly drink it all day long...:drunk:

You don't have to strain the hops. I always do though - less trub, quick to clear, and less in the way during transfer.

Do you think one pack of 1056 will be ok? The pack says I may need more if my OG is above 1.060

Excited to brew this one tomorrow!

ive found using a metal strainer over the top of a funnel with cheese cloth in it(when your transferring to carboy) does an absolute amazing job filtering and does a really good job of aerating too.

@ Dustbow thanks and agreed, the 90 min is an amazing IPA.

Just racked into secondary after 2 weeks in primary. O.G. 1.062, tested at racking time was 1.012. Now let the dry hopping begin. This is my first brew in 8 years. I took a bit of a hiatus. Tasted the sample and had nice bitterness but was missing the sweetness of Dogfish 60. Any thoughts to way? Will it get better after being in the bottle for a while?

Just racked into secondary after 2 weeks in primary. O.G. 1.062, tested at racking time was 1.012. Now let the dry hopping begin. This is my first brew in 8 years. I took a bit of a hiatus. Tasted the sample and had nice bitterness but was missing the sweetness of Dogfish 60. Any thoughts to way? Will it get better after being in the bottle for a while?

I don't think any sweetness will come, but maybe the perception of sweetness will be improved by the dryhopping.

There isn't any crystal malt in the AG recipe, as it's not a sweet beer at all to me, so I'm sure that's why.

Yooper said:
I don't think any sweetness will come, but maybe the perception of sweetness will be improved by the dryhopping.

There isn't any crystal malt in the AG recipe, as it's not a sweet beer at all to me, so I'm sure that's why.

I was tasting mine compared to a fresh 60 min and seemed like there was sweetness with the Dogfish but maybe your right about the perception part. I did the extract version though

So I have been drinking this from my keg for about a week now. This was my first ag and my og was 1.080 and I finished at 1.018. To make up for that higher gravity I upped my dry hopping amounts and now that It is carbed I can't stop drinking it. The hops aroma is out of control, the simcoe and Amarillo are amazing. There was a slight alcohol warming the first few pints but everything now has blended so well that you can only smell the hops, followed by the malt then a slight bitterness. Reminds me a lot of a dfh 75 ipa, not quite a 90 but my gravity was way over a 60. I think the 90 has a little more alcohol taste. Great recipe, I will keep this on tap.

Made this extract recipe on Friday. Had to leave town for Easter on Saturday, came home Sunday night and the bucket lid was popped off! Never knew that could happen. I put a fresh clean lid on it, hope it's going to be ok. The beer smells great already.

I've got one that's been in the fermentor now for about two weeks. Just need to find time to rack it into a second for the dry hops. Problem is I want to harvest the Pacman yeast bed so I have quite a bit of prep sterilizing water/mason jars prior to the rack.

Can't wait; loved the last two batches I made.

Just returned to home-brewing after some years and I have dusted off my old gear. I have taken a couple of stumbles with my first two extract batches, but I am finding my groove again. So after reading 140 + pages dedicated to Yooper's (love your avatar) DFH 60 minute clone I was just incredibly excited to brew this recipe. It took a while to track down the hops, but MoreBeer came through for me. When brew day came I had my mise en place set up so I wouldn't miss a hop addition. Everything went well and I felt very comfortable with the whole process. My gravities were spot on, cooled to pitching temperature quickly and she was fermenting away the following morning with a gorgeous Kräusen, it reminded my of a perfectly roasted marshmallow that lasted for 8 days. Last week I moved her into the secondary and I will dry hop on Wednesday. Once it's ready I will bottle half and keg (3gal) the other as I just finished setting up my chest freezer. Anticipation never felt so good. Thanks to all the willing participant who have shared their wealth of information and insight to this thread, especially Yooper's. It's good to be back brewing again.

Dcmpres said:
Just returned to home-brewing after some years and I have dusted off my old gear. I have taken a couple of stumbles with my first two extract batches, but I am finding my groove again. So after reading 140 + pages dedicated to Yooper's (love your avatar) DFH 60 minute clone I was just incredibly excited to brew this recipe. It took a while to track down the hops, but MoreBeer came through for me. When brew day came I had my mise en place set up so I wouldn't miss a hop addition. Everything went well and I felt very comfortable with the whole process. My gravities were spot on, cooled to pitching temperature quickly and she was fermenting away the following morning with a gorgeous Kräusen, it reminded my of a perfectly roasted marshmallow that lasted for 8 days. Last week I moved her into the secondary and I will dry hop on Wednesday. Once it's ready I will bottle half and keg (3gal) the other as I just finished setting up my chest freezer. Anticipation never felt so good. Thanks to all the willing participant who have shared their wealth of information and insight to this thread, especially Yooper's. It's good to be back brewing again.

Because you took the time to actually read the entire post do you want to give a recap of what suggestions were made Anfang agreed upon?

I brewed this a few years ago when I first started homebrewing. I did the extract version and it came out great. Now that I am an all-grain brewer it may be time to re-visit this. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some Thomas Faucett amber malt.

This was my third OG brew. The other two were just beer. But this one turned out great. I plan on another batch this weekend before the weather gets too hot. Thanks Yooper!

Latest posts

Back