WLP300 teach me something

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just brewed up a Chocolate Milk RIS and I used WLP300. I made 1 vial into a 2L starter decanted and pitched on brew day. Its been about 48 hrs @66-70F, noticeable fermentation started about 6 hrs after pitching. It looks like krausen is already getting slightly smaller and it never really seemed to peak(cant see any sludge from where it would have swelled) but my blow off tube is definitely steadily venting CO2 so I know I have fermentation going....

Why is it that Ive read many posts about how active the fermentation was and how a blow off tube would surely be needed when im not seeing that happening?

Im not worried im sure the yeast are doing their job and all will work out. Just not understanding why it happens to some and not to others? I ask because I think krausen is cool and was looking forward to watching it rise out of control lol

lots of factors affect vigor of fermentation. Temp, oxygenation, OG, pitch rate, yeast health, vessel shape, vessel size, etc. Just because your fermentation isnt splattering your ceiling with wort/beer is no reason to worry. It will be fine.
-Jeff-

I am fermenting with WLP300 and racked onto an existing yeast cake. I had some concerns but no blow off. This is 2 brews in a row with that yeast and have had very controlled fermentation. Who knows.

what was the thinking behind using WLP300 on a stout? thats a kinda weird combo

yea. Its a chocolate milk stout that so far has a nice banana scent to it. I plan on adding a Bourbon Vanilla bean to it for a week before bottling. I was doing some more reading and im wondering if the cocoa powder is what is bringing down the retention. Everything is fermenting away happily and worry free. I just couldnt see why my krausen never peaked much when everyone said id "Need a blow off tube." All in all im not worried, just a curious brewer still new the limitless world of home brewing.

It sounds like a banana split! You can serve a glass of beer with a cherry in it. lol

I just brewed a Hefe with WLP300. Fermentation started off nice and quiet right at 62-63 degrees, then within 48 hours I had a HUGE blow off. The stopper hit the fermentation chamber lid with some force behind it, left a nice explosion in the chamber also.

I hooked up a blow off tube and within 24 hours in settled back to normal levels.

Its almost the end of day 3 and the bubbles are still coming out of the blowoff about 1 per 5 seconds. But things took off 5-6 hrs after pitching and was producing a lot of co2 for 2 days. I love the ester profile of this yeast from what i can smell so far so Ill be using it again.

Back