What program

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
What program do yall use for making labels. I tried Gimp and well its way to complex for me. I even read the tutorials and still have problem after problem. Is their anything simpler out their. Preferable free. Im not looking for anything fancy just the ability to resize and put in text.

I use photoshop cs2. I don't like Gimp, doesn't work well for me, not as user friendly as photoshop. You can download a photoshop trial, or use the computers at school like I do.

I use Gimp for some of the touch ups. They have a few brush modes that I like. but Artweaver although similar is a little easier to navigate. I'm pretty much in the same boat though. I just don't know enough about the graphic arts so will probably have to take a class or something to really be able to use them and really make a GOOD label. There are a few programs on the web like label maker but they want $25-$40 and they only do very basic type labels. I wasn't to impressed. I've heard of quite a few who use PhotoShop but didn't care for the price tag...$200 +. Also found Open office which has a drawing program but haven't had much time to be a ble to figure it out yet. Let me know if you finally find one though, cause I'd be really interested too!

Apparently Adobe Illustrator is the way to go but that's big $$. I haven't go a clue what is good for us working folks.

I know as a printer Illustrator is the way to go if you ever plan to have your labels printed (by a printer). The drawback (like onecolumbyte said the prog. is big bucks). What ever you do don't expect printers can use type set in photoshop (or the like). If you are printing the labels at home or plan to have them digitally printed use what ever prog. that you are comfortable with (assuming your printer can convert that prog.).

I could go on for weeks :)

I use Illustrator. Its Def the best for this kind of stuff. I'd say Photoshop is a good second. Those 2 are really my main recomendations!

Cheers

illustrator is good for graphics and for any effects i like to use photoshop. in conjunction, the 2 are killer
as in killer combo

I have illustrator and Gimp and Gimp is way easier to use for graphic manipulation and text IMO. Illustrator is good for vector graphics. I have been using Gimp for a couple years now so if anyone needs help just let me know.

Reidman said:
I have illustrator and Gimp and Gimp is way easier to use for graphic manipulation and text IMO. Illustrator is good for vector graphics. I have been using Gimp for a couple years now so if anyone needs help just let me know.

I would hate to see how hard illustrator is cause GIMP confuses the hell out of me.

you might want to try photofiltre. from what i remeber it's free and does well on a lot of stuff that i've worked with.

Here's my label for a recently bottled nut brown using Paint.NET v3.07. Just downloaded this prtogram about 3 hrs. ago. It seems to pretty easy to use. I tried the Inkscape program yesterday and really like it with the exception of the inability of saving the file to a Gif or Jpeg format.

hnyntbrwn.jpg

hey Reidman, Can you wrap text in a circle with Gimp? I tried using the path thing but can't seem to get it to work like Inkscape. Is there a different way? or am I just stuck with Staight line text? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

stale said:
hey Reidman, Can you wrap text in a circle with Gimp? I tried using the path thing but can't seem to get it to work like Inkscape. Is there a different way? or am I just stuck with Staight line text? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I actually had to look that up since I've never used circle text. I have ver 2.2.10 but should be the same for older versions also.

Go to Xtns>Script-Fu>Logos>Text Circle

Here's something I whipped up real quick
beerlabelsgm7.png

Nice- yeah, there's still a ton of stuff I'm learning abotu GIMP, but I've only spent, like, 2 or 3 hours actually learning stuff (as opposed to actively trying to make labels), and have produced such labels as the Hatch-Battener Barleywine and the Treble-Strength Butterbeer.

What I need most now is text effects - both the "surface" of the text, and how to rotate/circle it.

Back