Happy national homebrew day everybody!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If today is really national home brew day that is amazing because I just randomly decided to start a new brew today, lol

Cheerz,
:mug:
Wily

It will be now! My shipment from Midwest got here at 11:40am. When my wife finishes what she's doin,we can (hopefully) get a double brew day going. I ordered an 6.5G BB ale pale with the spigot that has a knob like a hose spigot. It also looks like my cooper's bottling wand will fit up inside the spout! I got her a 3 piece airlock that looks to be from the same company mine did from the LHBS. And...1oz of Perle hops for my ale.
She'll be brewing a BB summer ale kit/steeping grains. I'll be doing up an amber ale that,if it gets as dark as I'm thinking it may,be more of an "old brown mawg" ale. lolz. The Perle & Saaz hops should go well together.

I've still got about 11 bottles of my summer pale ale left for the occasion. Maybe have some between batches with my co brewer wife. Happy day everybody!

Heating mash water for my first ever, 10g batch. After an expected trip to the hardware store to replace a faulty propane regulator, it's on!

Just got the water in the brew kettle goin for the wife. I'm trying the use of a cake cooling rack in the bottom of the kettle so the grain bag doesn't burn. The rest is on momma. With my guidance,of course.

Happy Home Brew Day all ... batch one is just about to boil .. Schwartz Bier ...

Going to have a brown ale ... one of the strongest i have made 10.68 abv... good

Then a Vienna Lager... amber crisp and oh so tasty...

Batch two is an Oatmeal stout and the grains are mixed and will be heating strike water soon!

Happy Brewing to All

I'm perk as a ruttin buck that my hard workin lil woman is going to start brewing her 1st when the BK water gets hot enough for the grain steep. She loves my home brew over BCB's so much,that I let her pick out a BB kit to brew up. Then,I can start my ale. I'm glad Midwest/Fed-Ex are so fast & reliable! Oh happy brew day!!

Hey I hit pre-boil gravity ... as close as I have ever come. Expected 1.058 and I got 1.060.... this is batch 007! I am happy! 1st hops in and the brown ale is great!

Hey unionrdr... congrats with the lil women... when the hops hit the wort the women in this house leave all four of them.... sigh

I use midwest as well they are great

Dammit...had to work today, so I brewed yesterday. Maharaja Imperial IPA Clone...with a twist. Used a wine-degasser for the first time yesterday to aerate the wort. I had so much foam that when I put my yeat in, some of it actually spilled out of the neck of the carboy....hopefully I didn't lose too many yeast. also got more hops into my primary that I would have liked. Wife is in MN, so where I usually have her help in various stages of the process, no extra hands available yesterday. Oh well, in a month I should be drinking some reeeal good IPA!

Thanx brewerin! She actually likes the smell of hops. I guess it's because we both cook,using herbs,citrus,etc. so the smell isn't altogether unfamiliar. She always comments on how it smells sweet too. Just one more victory...:tank:

just put my water in the mash tun, hit 154 on the mark once again. yeah baby, gotta love that smell. the swmbo just left for work, she hates the smell. me and my 3 yr old daughter argue over who the brewmaster is. "i'm a brewmaster", "no, i'm a brewmaster" we go back and forth like this. she's funny. i call her my "hop additionist", because she puts my hops in for me at the appropriate times. if my oldest son were home, he would help me. he is a US Marine, stationed in NC. he did afgan last year, 7 months. thank God he got home OK. He goes back in January, i am not looking forward to it at all. the worrying all over again. Any way, keep on Brewing!!!! I do wonder how many batches are being brewed to day all over ther world.

It'd be cool if we all brewed enough to get the whole world drunk enough to forget what they're fightin about! Kinda like the old international joint that comedian did. Just wish this electric stove wouldn't take so long to heat 2.5G of water.

I hear ya on the stove thing. I tend to boil my water before i use it because I have city water and I've been told by a few sources that it helps to get rid of the chlorine. It takes me FOREVER to boil it and I'm only doing 2 gallon batch. (yes I'm lame, I'm still on the Mr. Beer kit for now. I have 1 extract left not counting the one working now until I can move onto bigger things, lol)

I do wonder how many people are brewing today. Glad I was a part of it just out of random.

Wily

Yeah,me too. I'm glad my stuff came in in time to be a part of this beer holiday for the 1st time. will wind up with 11G of beer! Oooohh yeeeeaaaah!:drunk::mug:

NICE! I can't wait until I get to the point of turning that much out at once! I'm looking for a 5 gallon bucket right now that I can convert into a fermenter. I started calling grocery stores and restaurants and I may be getting a couple here soon...... :-D

i'm not sure what day exactly, but 1978 Jimmy Carter signed bill.

Looked it up:

http://www.ahistoryofdrinking.com/wordpress/2011/05/06/tomorrow-is-national-homebrew-day/

Apparently it's the first Saturday of every month of May since 1988.

I can't find a specific date on when homebrewing was legalized in the US in 1978, but because of the "first Saturday of the month" thing I doubt the two are related. I imagine it's based on some particular brewing club somewhere and the "holiday" grew from there.

The bill was signed on April 6,1979 by Jimmy Carter. The ale pales used for 5G batches are typically 6.5G,to allow some head space. The krausen & CO2 will need it. I just ordered the BB ale pale with grommet & spigot from Midwest Wednesday. Just got it at 11:40am today! It's 6.5G,& I got another 3 piece airlock for it. My other one is the cooper's micro brew fermenter I make 6G batches in. It'll also take the rare 6.5G kits I've seen.

It'd be cool if we all brewed enough to get the whole world drunk enough to forget what they're fightin about! Kinda like the old international joint that comedian did. Just wish this electric stove wouldn't take so long to heat 2.5G of water.

PERFECT. Let's do it.:ban:

My water's up to 110F & climbing,almost there. I told momma she's gettin to work at that point. She's a little uncertain about things she's never done. I'll get her over that. This stuff really isn't that hard. I think it's fun,creative,artisan type stuff. Gunna be a great day,even the sun wants to watch!:ban:

having a home brew party at my hizel. 5 gal of ipa ready as of this moment. 3 beer can chickens, 2 bags of baked pots, and a huge amount of broccoli. about to head up to local store and get supplies for a brew tom...

having a home brew party at my hizel. 5 gal of ipa ready as of this moment. 3 beer can chickens, 2 bags of baked pots, and a huge amount of broccoli. about to head up to local store and get supplies for a brew tom...

Sounds good,I love BCC! And,my wife & I are both from Lakewood. The Lakewood of yeasteryear.

Ok,the steeped grain part of the wort is coming up to the boil. Now to wait on this electric stove to get to a boil...

Batch two Oatmeal Stout ... First decoction with 5 minutes left in 153 F rest. This is a single decoction... the Schwartz Bier I just put in the fermenter was a double decoction.

thirty minutes left in boil, 3rd hop addition in. woo hoo. i bet the humidity in here is 98% boiling almost seven gallons on my electric stove.

I stopped by the brewout at my LHBS and the guys/gals had it crankin'. Nothing like the smell of sweet wort from a dozen (or more) boil kettles.

Bk finally boiled. She dumped in 1lb each of light pilsner DME & the wheat DME. WOW! we took turns stirin down that serious hot break! Only lasted a couple mins,but would've foamed all over the stove if we hadn't took turns stiring. Bittering Cascade hops went in for 40mins.

Bk finally boiled. She dumped in 1lb each of light pilsner DME & the wheat DME. WOW! we took turns stirin down that serious hot break! Only lasted a couple mins,but would've foamed all over the stove if we hadn't took turns stiring. Bittering Cascade hops went in for 40mins.

That's one of the things I've found brewing on electric stoves too... "When it rains it pours." It's a long time coming to get 4+ gallons to boil, but once you do it *really* wants to boil. I've found on my particular stove that once I get a boil going I dial back to 7.5 on the dial and it will keep a steady rolling boil going *forever*. Handy, but was kind of a pain in the butt until I figured it out. If I go even a smidge above where I have marked on the dial (around 7.5) it will boil over. A smidge below and it doesn't boil at all. Very finicky.

Here's a look at the first batch of the day - a light lemonade mead!

Had all of my stuff ready to go and the man of steel was supervising - what could go wrong?

3763-img-0244-1.jpg

Wait a second - I've never done a mead before! :confused: Should I freak out? Heck, no! RDWHAHB!

3767-img-0250.jpg

Mixed it all together and got myself to about 170*F, we're rockin'. :rockin:

3764-img-0246-1.jpg

Cooled it down and sanitized, easy enough! (FYI: guys, notice the flowers in the background - I always pick up fresh flowers for SWMBO the day before brew day, somehow things go smoother that way!)

3765-img-0248-1.jpg

Pitched the yeast and it's hanging out in the closet - will let y'all know how it turns out. On to the blonde ale!

I just got home from my LHBS. They were having people come and brew there. I got 2 all grain batches done. I did alright, but wish I had a better grasp on brewing outside. I normally brew in my garage where I do not need to compete with wind. I lost a lot of my heat so I didn't get nearly the evaporation I normally do. Oh well, it will still be beer, just not quite as strong. It will end up hopefully, around 5%. Both should have been 6% +.

Back