Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suicidal

Reaction score
So, I am a noob when it comes to brewing (I haven't even brewed my first batch yet)...but when I do something I like to do it right. I have been looking at buying a chest freezer to turn into a fermentation chamber...then it clicked, that I have a commercial Ice Cream freezer in the shop (pic below). My question is, will I run into any problems since this cooler has a glass top? I plan on using buckets for fermentation, so i don't think Light will be an issue.

IMG00320-20110212-1722.jpg

also could I use something like this as my heat source for my fermentation chamber?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...es/landing2/electric-fermentation-heater.html

Dude, you've got it all worked out. That thing will work great. And the brew belt will work too.

Keep in mind, you'll need a temperature controller to make all this stuff work.

Dude, you've got it all worked out. That thing will work great. And the brew belt will work too.

Keep in mind, you'll need a temperature controller to make all this stuff work.

yea, i've been reading the ebay aquarium temp. controler...i think i am going to order one sometime tomorrow.

thanks for your input. :mug:

That is all shades of awesome. I wouldn't bother with the brew belt and rig up a lightbulb instead as the heat source.

The only negative I can foresee is if you set it up in an area with fluorescent lighting and you ferment in carboys. The light exposure can result in skunking your beer.

you have got it made for a fermentation chamber. I would just get a small piece of material (wood, insulation board, whatever) to go between the sliding door and the edge where it would normally close, and drill any needed holes for the temperature probe, wires, or whatever you need to get in there.

For heat, I would go with a heat bulb from a pet shop that is typically used in lizard/snake cages. No light, but still get the heat. Even if you do end up using a clear carboy for fermentation, just throw a towel or two over the top and your problems are solved.

you have got it made for a fermentation chamber. I would just get a small piece of material (wood, insulation board, whatever) to go between the sliding door and the edge where it would normally close, and drill any needed holes for the temperature probe, wires, or whatever you need to get in there.

For heat, I would go with a heat bulb from a pet shop that is typically used in lizard/snake cages. No light, but still get the heat. Even if you do end up using a clear carboy for fermentation, just throw a towel or two over the top and your problems are solved.

:mug: you just gave me the solution to the other problem i was having. LOL. I couldn't figure out how i was going to run all the wires and such. I love this forum already.:rockin:

The only negative I can foresee is if you set it up in an area with fluorescent lighting and you ferment in carboys. The light exposure can result in skunking your beer.

its going in the garage. only incandescent light in there, and it won't be anywhere near sunlight...so i think i will be ok if/when i decide to ferment in carboys.

That is all shades of awesome. I wouldn't bother with the brew belt and rig up a lightbulb instead as the heat source.

hmmm...hadn't thought about a lightbulb...that saves me even more money. LOL. I have a light setup i can use in this thing. so when its all said and done, i'm going to have a fermentation chamber for the price of a temp. controler. :D

NO WAY!!!

I'll come take it from you and these awesome guys will help you get something that will work!!!

:rockin:

If it is glass, tint it. If plastic, or even glass, cover the inside with tin foil or something else.

Back