Pitched yeast to hot.......I think..HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctbrewer227

Reaction score
I brewed a apple spice ale tonight and think i pitched the yeast way to hot. I couldnt get the temp to go down I poured chilled water and some ice and let it sit but didnt want to let it sit uncovered I wanted to get the yeast in ASAP my guess the pitch temp was around 88-90 degrees. Should I be worried? When should I expect the airlock to start bubbling? the yeast was pitched about 9pm. If it doesnt start do I have to get another yeast packet and repitch?

The yeast will most likely survive, its what they put off is what worries me. It won't be dangerous, just potentially not the flavor you were looking for. Depending on what yeast you used and with this style, it might come out really good. What temperature is it now?

now its room temp about 68-72 degrees.........I used a 1098 wyeast british ale........it was a activator smack pack

It was only a couple hours hot then, and now it is within the optimum temp range. It will most likely be ok. Again maybe some off flavors from the warm start, but it was brief and the yeast should remain viable.

Ya, thats a pretty good time frame. Take a gravity reading if its not bubbling just in case also

Yep, try to pitch cooler next time
and for the rest of this batch, leave it for another week before even thinking about it. Maybe two. The only thing to mess with in the first two weeks is assuring the yeast get to live in their desired temperature range.

Should I worry if i dont see a bubbling airlock within like 2 days max?

No dont worry after two days.

If at three days you dont see bubbling, then start to CONSIDER worrying...

If after 5 or more days still nothing, take a hydrometer reading. If its the same as before, then start worrying and repitch.

(the high temp may have killed some of your yeast, so it will take them an extra long time to rebuild their troops and battle the sugars)

I woke up this morning to it bubbling!! What a relief it was. I was thinking should I leave in an extra few days in the primary before racking to the secondary?

Even more of a relief I think........Just came home peeked at my primary and the airlock is bubbling away vigourously and foaming and all wort coming out of the top.......never brewed a beer with this vigorous of a fermentation going on it is a beautiful thing.......I may even have to put a blow off tube its so bad =)

If I were you I wouldn't secondary. I'm against it for almost all ales, but especially with that yeast. I've used it and it drops like a rock after a week or so, it'll clear fine on it's own without the extra hassle of racking or risk of oxidizing and contamination.

Really no secondary? So just leave it in the primary for the extra 2 weeks or so before bottling?

Really no secondary? So just leave it in the primary for the extra 2 weeks or so before bottling?

Yep- I haven't used a secondary in aeons. (well, except for my high-gravity beers). Anything under 1.080 or so spends 3-4 weeks in primary, then off to the keg (or bottling bucket in your case). The extra time in primary allows the yeast to clean up after itself.

Absolutely. I keep my beers in primary for 3-4 weeks sometimes. Just use your hydrometer to ensure that you've hit your FG, and bottle when it looks like the yeast has dropped out. Sometimes it takes 3 weeks for me, sometimes 10 days.

Wow I think I need a blowoff hose but dont have time to run and get tubing.......Will I be ok for now just keep refilling the airlock with sanitizing solution or in my case vodka because it keeps bubbling all out this fermentation is rediculously vigorous

Wow I think I need a blowoff hose but dont have time to run and get tubing.......Will I be ok for now just keep refilling the airlock with sanitizing solution or in my case vodka because it keeps bubbling all out this fermentation is rediculously vigorous

It's messy, but you'll be OK- as long as stuff is coming out, there's no way for anything to get in.

Back