Getting Started on the Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morydd

Reaction score
My neighbor downstairs brews regularly and has offered me the use of his equipment in getting started brewing myself. However, I don't want to tie up his carboys for fermenting. If I understand what I'm doing correctly, between brew day and bottling, the only thing I need is a fermenter, correct?

So, assuming I can borrow the other equipment, I can get started with just a fermenting bucket and the ingredients. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

I'm just getting started, and with a 1 year old and an unsteady work situation, I can't justify jumping in with both feet and spending the money all at once on a full kit.

That sounds like a great way to get a taste for the hobby. You are correct, all you need between brew day and bottling is a fermentation vessel - either a food grade plastic bucket ($18) or a glass carboy ($38) - both found at homebrew stores or online. At my local homebrew shop, a free airlock ($1.50) is included with purchase, as it is also required.

For ingredients you can try some Brewers Best brand extract kits, they usually run $25 - $45 or so and make 5 gallons.

You could also try looking on Craig's List (or other similar sites), or check with your LHBS for used carboys / demijohns. *All* of my DJs were used, and only needed a little elbow grease to get clean. I also spent $15 for each of them, rather than the $50 that is the list price new around here.

I vote for the 'cheap bucket fermenter' they're easy to find, cheap, work well, easy to clean, and if you never brew again you'd still find a use for the bucket. plus they don't shatter when dropped 1/2".

Should I get a bucket with a spigot? Will that make bottling easier, or is it not worth it for the sanitation issues?

Should I get a bucket with a spigot? Will that make bottling easier, or is it not worth it for the sanitation issues?

dont worry about the spigot, you wont bottle from your fermenter as there is a ton of sediment on the bottom of your fermenter that you dont want in your beer

You might want to grab a hydrometer too, so you'll know when fermentation is done.

Otherwise sounds like a great deal.

you WILL need another bucket with a spigot (bottling bucket) to siphon the beer from the fermenter into in order to bottle. So, one plastic bucket with airlock (fermenter), and one with a spigot (bottling bucket). This is how I do it I'm not sure of the other people.

Nah, you can borrow that from your friend when it's time to bottle. Just get a bucket and an airlock -- borrow his hydrometer when you think its time.

Latest posts

Back