Cleaning fermentor..black spots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesa4234

Reaction score
I store my fermentors filled with water and bleach. I was getting ready to use one today, and when rinsing, I noticed a few dark dots inside the bucket. I tried to wipe them off with a paper towel and then I tried to run my fingernail over the spot and it seems like the spots are imbedded in the plastic. Since it seems to be embedded in the plastic, I think I am okay, but I don't want to risk contamination with mold. Do you think these spots are a problem?

They don't embed in the plastic,they just seem to stick to it real well. Scrub the spots off & soak in PBW for a week. I had to do that once with the lid.

Just my opinion. It would be better to clean your fermentors and store them dry. Bleach and other sanitisers can have a deletorious effect on plastics. I had to trim the bottom of the funnel I use to transfer wort to the primary after it was in a Star San solution for a week.

Back