RIMS systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgraham602

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm starting to toss around the idea of adding a RIMs set up to my top tier system. I've boiled it down to 2 setups. One would be to add a burner tier where my mashtun is (currently a shelf with a cooler mash) and do a direct fired mash. The other option would be to keep my current mash set up and add a RIMs tube to circulate the mash through. Anyone have experience with either of these? I have no experience with PID controllers or wiring, so right now the Tower of Power modules from Blichmann are looking attractive. One of my primary concerns is scorching the wort.

I'll add that I am not the most DIY-friendly guy and I do adhere to the idea that it is sometimes better in the long run to purchase something that is professionally built, rather than build something that I'm going to have to tweak over and over (which sometimes costs more than just buying the right thing from the get go)

I direct fire now and I want to move to a HERMS in the boil pot. Babysitting the mast with direct fire sucks. It is easy to overshoot your temperatures.

Obviously the pump isn't in the picture here, but, other than that, this is the entirety of my RIMS setup. The cost of the major components (Heater, PID, SSR, tri-clover stuff) was around $250, so say $275-300 with the box and GFCI plug/switch.

Compare to the Tower kit that still needs your own burner at nearly $600

198142_452656768124928_45731524_n.jpg

Wasn't too complicated to get put together. Plus, it's more or less a stand alone unit that can be put on any mash tun fairly easily.

As for solar powered RIMS... I'd doubt you could pull the power needed with any reasonable kind of solar system.

Latest posts

Back