Do I Have to Lager My Oktoberfest Immediately?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
I have two cornys full of Oktoberfest...but only room for one keg in my lagering fridge. Is there any issue with letting the second keg sit in my basement (around 65 degrees) for about a month and THEN lager it? Or do lagers need to lager immediately upon kegging/bottling?

Hmm... that's a good question. I only have a few lagers under my belt (one of them a true Oktoberfest/Marzen brewed in March and lagered until October) but I would venture to guess it's probably fine if it doesn't get lagered immediately.

I'm curious to see what everyone's thoughts are....I should add that the second keg that won't get lagered right away will be for next year (2013).....

I absolutely hate this response, but I think it's entirely called for....

RDWHAHB!

Boom! Id consider it a long diacetyl rest!

I guarantee you will notice a fairly big difference between the two beers. Lagering is done for a reason...

_

wildwest450 said:
I guarantee you will notice a fairly big difference between the two beers. Lagering is done for a reason...

_

He's not not lagering, he's just deferring it

You're good. I 'conditioned' an Oktoberfest for a month before lagering (keezer was busy with fermentations). The Oktoberfest turned out to be my best beer of 2011.

Excellent...that's the kind of evidence I was hoping to hear. I am indeed lagering it, but won't start the lagering process for about a month.....

Back