Wyeast 3711 is Rad!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fid

Reaction score
I brewed a Saison last Saturday and pitched Wyeast 3711 in it. My initial fermentation temps were in the mid to upper 70's for the first few days. As fermentation slowed it also got cooler in my closet and my temps were down around 64. I was a bit worried that I was going to be in for a long, slow fermentation to get my FG inside of 1.010. I pulled a sample last night and its down to 1.006 after 7 days and even with the low temps its still got plenty of fun Saison funk going on. Hands down the best tasting sample I have ever pulled.

So whats the point of this post?
I don't know... 3711 is a beast and I decided that it deserved some props I guess.

I'd suggest pushing the temperature up to about 80 F if you can to finish it off. Might have a couple more points in that yeast.

If you like that yeast, you are going to love the wonderful world of Belgian yeasts. I like 3711, but there are a lot better yeasts.

I'd have to say I like 3724 more than 3711, albeit 3711 is a lot faster and easier to work with. I've had hit and miss regular paced vs. slooooowwwwww ferments with 3724, so I was thinking next time it's taking its sweet time I'll just pitch some 3711 to finish out. Not sure how the flavor would be affected overall, but I'm sure it'll definitely be enjoyable.

Another member of the 3711 fan club. I have also used 3724 a lot, it is good too, and I have never experienced it's slower side. I agree with most of what has been said regarding 3711, but what I like most about it is it's temperature versatility. I love using it in hot months, if you do no have any high-tech temp control, it can kind of go on auto pilot up an slightly over 80f. I have also used it around 65-66f paired with citra and Amarillo to make a slightly spicy version of one my pale ales quickly. 3711 also creates a great smooth mouthfeel even at low gravity.

I brewed a bitchin saison on Saturday, hit every number dead on. But I had a vial/starter built up of WL568 I think it is? The Belgian/saison blend. Wish it had been 3711, but we'll see what this does. I plan on taking it bone dry, and it has 25% rye in it.

I'd suggest pushing the temperature up to about 80 F if you can to finish it off. Might have a couple more points in that yeast.

If you like that yeast, you are going to love the wonderful world of Belgian yeasts. I like 3711, but there are a lot better yeasts.

I considered getting an aquarium heater and a bucket to kick the temp up but got anxious to brew. Would there be any problems ramping the temp back up now that its dropped into the 60s?

I brewed a saison about 9 months ago with this yeast that scored a 39 average score in the first round of the National Homebrew Competition (just received the scores yesterday :)) Judges loved the spiciness and tart dryness.

This yeast is wonderful. I too sing its praises!

3711 is probably my favorite regularly offered wyeast strain. I've recently decided to pretty much just brew saisons almost exclusively...I just can't get enough of that dry crusp flavorful goodness.

I also love the lueven pale ale (corsendonk strain) when available.

Add me to the fan club. I have only done a couple with 3711 but many more are planned. Can't get enough!!

Veedo said:
Anyone have a solid recipe to try with this yeast?

Try Eulipion's rosemary-honey Saison. I brewed an herbless version and it is perhaps the best beer I've brewed. 3711 gives such a dry but silky mouthfeel--I love it!

I just brewed a saison with an OG of 1.061, it dropped to 1.002 in 7 days using 3711. It has now been 10 days, do you guys think it's safe to go ahead and keg this bad boy or should I let it sit another week just to clean things up? It tastes like it's good to go. I'm just not used to fermenting anything less than 14 days, in fact I go 21 fairly often.

i'm drinking a saison right now made with 3711. never cared for saison till i found this yeast. now i like it.

stein: let it go for 21 days, even though it's done fermenting

To add to my above question. I made 11 gallons. Half of it I want to leave as is. The other half, I want to add apricot puree and do a secondary. Right now it is all in one 13 gallon fermentor. I'd like to get this secondary with the puree started now while the yeast is still fairly fresh/active. I can easily add the puree to another 6 gallon fermenter and then rack on top of that but what do you all recommend I do with the other 5.5 gallons? I don't want to leave it in the larger fermenter due to the excessive head space. Should I put it into a keg and just let it sit for another week or two? I could pull the air valve on it every couple of days to make sure there isn't too much pressure. Then after a week or two I could just force carb it. This would prevent me from having to do an unecessary secondary and in the process probably causing more oxidation.

Or is it best to leave it on the yeast cake for the 3 weeks? In which case would it still be viable to get a secondary fermentation with the puree? Or would the yeast not be good enough to get me a nice low gravity that late in the game?

You could leave it for a few months and still have the yeast be in fine shape to get to work on the fruit.

Leave it for a couple more weeks.

To add to my above question. I made 11 gallons. Half of it I want to leave as is. The other half, I want to add apricot puree and do a secondary. Right now it is all in one 13 gallon fermentor. I'd like to get this secondary with the puree started now while the yeast is still fairly fresh/active. I can easily add the puree to another 6 gallon fermenter and then rack on top of that but what do you all recommend I do with the other 5.5 gallons? I don't want to leave it in the larger fermenter due to the excessive head space. Should I put it into a keg and just let it sit for another week or two? I could pull the air valve on it every couple of days to make sure there isn't too much pressure. Then after a week or two I could just force carb it. This would prevent me from having to do an unecessary secondary and in the process probably causing more oxidation.

Or is it best to leave it on the yeast cake for the 3 weeks? In which case would it still be viable to get a secondary fermentation with the puree? Or would the yeast not be good enough to get me a nice low gravity that late in the game?

3 weeks is pretty excessive for primary fermentation of a ~1.060 OG beer. Not to say you can't do it, it just isn't necessary. If every commercial brewery did that, we'd be facing quite a beer shortage (and the ensuing riots). I just brewed a 1.068 OG saison. I let it ferment for 10 days (decent amount of yeast left in solution) which was 5 days after reaching terminal gravity of 1.003 (plenty of time to clean things up), then I racked onto 6 lbs fresh pasteurized apricots. The picture is 7 days into secondary (17 days total fermentation) and I will probably transfer to tertiary in another day or two on to a little boiled gelatin and cold crash for 6-7 days (helps drop any fruit material still in solution, I don't like that stuff sitting at the bottom of the keg).

If you are concerned about oxidation after racking some onto fruit, just vent the head space with a little CO2, and your golden. Venting head space of kegs/carboys is just a good practice to get into. It keeps the O2 out of the fermentor, and the beer tasting crisp and fresh :)

Good luck!

photo.jpg

Just made a 2.5 gallon batch of saison with 3711-- went from 1.078 to 1.008! Thats nearly 89% attenuation!
And to top it off? The last of the bottling bucket tasted amazing! Very smooth, spicy, and delicious!

being how cold it is can I use 3711?? my house is about 60-66 ish 24-7 (low end at night, warmer end during the day).... is that too cold for 3711? I know 3724 requires some serious heat (did mid 80's during august down here in Tucson), but I didn't know if 3711 had THAT much flexibility... I love me some saisons and it's KILLING me being out of them in winter

worm,

you should be fine....when it ferments it heats up a little past the ambient air temperature and I am in New Jersey so with the heater its never higher than 70 and could be as low as the high 50s (try to put it in the warmest room in the house--i.e. laundry room, etc.).....I saved some from my recently bottled batch....this has to be one of my top 3 yeasts ever!

3711 is not temp finicky like other saision strains. I did a tank 7 clone that finished at 0.998 in about 10 days @ my basement temps of 66 and it had a great mouthfeel.

sweeeeeet, glad it's not as temp finicky as 3724. I'll grab a smack pack next time I'm out around town. I've REALLY been missing my saison's during winter time. I'll probably wrap a blanket around it too to try and keep it warmer

this strain appears to finish its fermentation, and then slooooowly superattenuates all remaining sugars. i have to carbonate it conservatively because it just keeps going in the bottle. almost like a brett.

I've brewed with only 3711 a few times. Dry, spicy, but no funk. Best beer with it was a belgian IPA.

Last saison I did, I pitched 3724 and let that run hot (80F - 90F) for about a week, then I threw the 3711 in there. Now that was a funky saison.

I've brewed with only 3711 a few times. Dry, spicy, but no funk. Best beer with it was a belgian IPA.

Last saison I did, I pitched 3724 and let that run hot (80F - 90F) for about a week, then I threw the 3711 in there. Now that was a funky saison.

Love this idea!

I just bottled a saison made from 3711. Very unimpressive flavor. I did get that nice funky thing going on with aroma, but the flavor was just nothing. It was like a flavor black hole. Maybe the slightest peppery thing and a teensy bit of lemony. But overall, bland.

At this point in the process, most Belgian beers I've made are over the top estery before bottling. It attenuates well, but that's about it. I thought the "silky" mouthfeel felt slimey. I used about 5% table sugar by weight, mashed at 63C for 60 min then 68C for 15 minutes. It was a 1.052 beer that came out at 1.004. I started at 19C day one, raised to finally 24C by day 5 and held at at 24C for a few days. It took about 10 days to finally stop fermenting. It had a little fizz on the surface for at least a week after the krausen fell. Reminded me of how ciders ferment.

how are you all getting final gravity so low?
my saison is stuck at 1.023.
what are all your aerating techniques?
i definitely aerate... i've got to be doing something wrong?

how are you all getting final gravity so low?
my saison is stuck at 1.023.
what are all your aerating techniques?
i definitely aerate... i've got to be doing something wrong?

What yeast strain are you using? I suspect the Belgian Saison, which can take a while to ferment out, and you may need to maintain 90+ degrees F. If so, get the temp elevated and give it a month total. I just used Wyeast 3711 and 3726 and my FGs were 1.002 and 1.007 after a couple weeks. I brewed with White Lab's Belgian strain last year and had to hold at 90F for a month to ferment out.

What yeast strain are you using? I suspect the Belgian Saison, which can take a while to ferment out, and you may need to maintain 90+ degrees F. If so, get the temp elevated and give it a month total. I just used Wyeast 3711 and 3726 and my FGs were 1.002 and 1.007 after a couple weeks. I brewed with White Lab's Belgian strain last year and had to hold at 90F for a month to ferment out.

WY3711. been at 1.023 for the past 2 days.

Latest posts

Back