Just kegged my first batch of homebrew and have a question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigpapa7272

Reaction score
Alrighty

Just kegged my batch of summer ale, and I think it tastes great it just needs more carbination.When pouring at 7.5 psi I had a great pour I used the quick carbing method instructions that I found adventures in home brewing, i only left the gas on at 30psi for about 2 hours Im thinking that if i leave it on at 30 psi overnight and test in the morning it will be better any thoughts?

Bad idea. 30 psi is way too much for any beer other than a stout where you'll be using a restriction faucet.

I'd cut it to 12 psi for overnight.

I personally wouldn't do that. I find out what level my PSI should be at by using the carb chart and leave it there for a week or two. Most of my ales are carbed and served at 12 psi. Stouts I do at 6 psi (I use CO2 not beer gas).

You also need to know the temp of the beer. A reg ale at 45 degrees will be around 12 psi where at 35 degrees it could be as low as 7 psi

I agree with the previous posters. I usually carb mine between 10 and 15 psi depending on the style. It seems to work fine.

what you did is fine, it just needs to sit for a while longer at your desired final PSI after force carbing for the few hours at 30 PSI. Also, that initial force carb will vary by the temperature of the beer. Colder beer will dissolve more CO2.

Here's what I do that has worked well for the 4 batches I've kegged: force carb at 30 PSI, shaking for about 2 minutes, then letting it sit on that pressure for a few hours. I then relieve pressure and set it my desired final PSI (about 10 PSI @ 36F for me) for about a week. After that, ready to drink. Of course, it generally improves a little over the next week or so after that, but it's not a huge change.

Just brew more beer. Use at least a two tap keggerator and carb up the next keg while you're drinking on the first one. This way you can keep you regulator down where you want it all the time. As mentioned before, use a force carbonation chart.

2 tap?? I am going to have a 4 tap keezer when I get done building it. 3 Home Brew and a dedicated sprecher rootbeer line

Thanks to everyone for the insight

I've kegged tons of beers over the years, and really, it should be pretty quick and easy if you want to drink your kegged beer at any desired carbonation level.

First of all, look at the carbonation level that is desirable for your particular style of beer. Maybe it's 2.5 volumes, maybe 2.8 or whatever. Anyway, find out how much psi is necessary for the temperature of your beer. There's plenty of charts out there.

Of course, you want to make sure your beer is cold when carbonating.

Adjust the regulator for how much psi is necessary to achieve the desired volumes of co2, then simply shake the kegerator back and forth (with the co2 tank still hooked up). At first, you'll hear the regulator releasing co2 into the beer, and as you keep shaking, it'll slowly die down. Once it no longer releases any more co2 into the shaking beer, set the keg aside for several hours.

Let it just sit at that predetermined psi with the co2 tank and regulator still hooked up in the refrigerator or kegerator or whatever while the foam settles inside the keg. If you do that in the day, it'll be ready to drink and perfectly carbed by night.

Shaking will move any sediment around on the bottom and mix with the beer, but it's generally not a concern since most has been dropped out in another fermention vessel, and gets diluted so much anyway.

I've brewed lots of kegs for parties and used this method for carbonation to great effect. I would often bring the keg to the location early, put it in a cooler with ice (if I didn't have room to cool it beforehand) to cool it down, then just force carb it right there. It'd be ready to serve within 4-6 hours and perfectly carbed.

Back