Kegging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm747

Reaction score
Hey guys, yesterday I kegged 10 gallons of IPA to two Corny Kegs. Since I only had room for one keg in my kegerator, I flushed the oxygen from the second keg several times and then put it back down in the basement to continue fermenting.

Was this wrong? Do I need to keep C02 on the keg to keep it from spoiling or am I ok since I purged the oxygen?

Did I already screw up the batch in that keg? It's been down there for 24 hours at this point and I won't be able to get to it until 5pm today.

Thanks!

Tim

Everything is fine. It's just conditioning until room opens up in the kegerator. I usually prime that second keg with sugar so when the first keg is empty I already have the second keg carbed and ready to go. Just remember to use about half as much priming sugar as you would normally use to bottle.

What you did is fine, however if the keg is going to sit at room temp until the first keg is finished, why not prime it with sugar so that it is carbed when you are ready to drink it?

I've never primed a keg with sugar but I guess I could. How would I go about doing that? How much would I put in?

Guess I'll do a bit of searching. :)

Tim

Back