Want to add Honey to my Hefe extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefhead25

Reaction score
So I want to add a little abv and a slight crisp honey taste to my hefe extract batch but i see everyone does something different. I will be kegging as well if that makes a difference. So should i add 1 lb. of honey---end of boil, after boil, after chilled and yeast is pitched, secondary, or when kegging. Keep in mind im not trying to make the beer too dry. I've heard that those sugars added too early can do that. Any advice???

I would add no more than 2# of honey, depending upon how much dme/lme you are using, during the last 15 minutes of the boil.

I just did this! I've done all-grain for years, but thanks to a mis-communication with my wife, I ended up with 6lbs of Wheat DME. I also had a hefe yeast cake. And 2# of honey. So I did exactly what you are thinking of doing. I brewed as normal, and added the honey with 5m left in the boil (slowly, stirring like mad). It took a really long time to ferment despite using a good amount of yeast slurry (probably too much).

I just now tested it from the carboy and it is a little dry (1.009 from 1.054), but the honey is shining through and really compliments the banana-clove from the WYeast 3068. I'm going crash cool, and start drinking this next week. Looking forward to it!

I will say that the honey flavor seems to disguise the actual dryness. It is dry by the numbers, but doesn't taste that way. We'll see after it carbonates. I would add less than 2# of honey if you're worried about dryness.

Awesome! Thanks that sounds great. Couple questions, how long did the fermentation take and what kind of honey did you use?

It took almost three weeks to ferment down! :cross: It shot to about 1.020 in less than a week, and then just tottered along for another two weeks before bottoming out. I just used Walmart Clover Honey. Nothing fancy.

Ok, I crashed, carbed and tasted. It was pretty dry, causing a slightly unpleasant bitterness. I now would strongly recommend using 1lb or less honey with an extract recipe. I might try this all-grain with mash temps around 156.

Ive heard that you should add it to your secondary, becuase the yeast carries off the honey flavor.. Ive tried a honey ale where I did that and it came out awesome (scored a 45 in the last comp i entered it in to) but honey in a hef, that sounds like an awesome idea. please post how it came out because id bet it really hype up the bananas taste, and I may just try that on my next hef.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help and I think I'm going to go with secondary option. Iknow it might have to sit for a week or so on the honey in there but was wondering, if you where to do it how long would you leave it in there?

when making mead I know meaders like me have to add yeast nutriet. Since Honey dosn't isn't as nurishing as Malt. Maybe thats why it takes so long to ferment out. Just my 2 centabos

#1 for honey last 5 min of boil should be plenty on a med/light wheat. will impart some honey But it will dry out your wheat. it will jack final ABV in similar numbers to corn sugar.
I do like to get my honey at least mostly pastureized at 180-190. for a few minutes. adding to boil at end for a minute or two will do it. 5 is safe while maintaining good honey notes, esp with wild honey. this is the way I do my honey corriander.

All I know is this: I made an extract hefe kit a few weeks ago and bottled today. The taste resembled honey very much, and I added none to my batch. (I fermented high--couldn't get it much colder than 72 with this ridiculous summer heat we've had)

Of course, that's today and it hasn't had a chance to bottle condition, and I generally think most worts so far taste the same. (That's probably terrible to admit!)

i won't add honey to a hefe. it's just too delicate a flavor to mess with; too easy to overpower

true hefe no... American wheat... yes.

true hefe has a strong profile (done some peach, raspberry, & strawberries and didn't over power yeast flavor using wyeast 3068) and it may stand up to some honey.... was thinking about doing a pound of local honey with some lemon balm herb in the spring... strong yeast

If it helps at all, mine got 2nd place in "specialty" at the local homebrew competition (very small). It tastes very much like banana-clove-honey. I still think it's too dry, but the judges really liked it...

Back