Best grrain crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
I know there are several thread about this, but just wanting to gather recent perspective. I'm going to be getting rid of my corona mill for a roller mill in the very near future and want to make the best value purchase. thanks in advance. --B

The BEST grain crusher is going to be expensive and somewhat subjective. When I shopped for 'value' when I bought a grain mill, I went straight for the Barley Crusher with the 7lb hopper. For about $120 I'm totally satisfied. I hand-cranked my first grain bill with it and it worked well. I thought I was going to have to call EMS to come get me before I was finished, but I cranked my way through 14lbs of grain. After that, I just removed the crank handle and hooked my 3/8" drill up to the shaft to turn it. I can mill 14lbs of grain now in just a couple minutes. I'm totally satisfied with this mill after using it 5 or 6 times.

The BEST grain crusher is going to be expensive and somewhat subjective. When I shopped for 'value' when I bought a grain mill, I went straight for the Barley Crusher with the 7lb hopper. For about $120 I'm totally satisfied. I hand-cranked my first grain bill with it and it worked well. I thought I was going to have to call EMS to come get me before I was finished, but I cranked my way through 14lbs of grain. After that, I just removed the crank handle and hooked my 3/8" drill up to the shaft to turn it. I can mill 14lbs of grain now in just a couple minutes. I'm totally satisfied with this mill after using it 5 or 6 times

+1 Love mine, sure is nice to buy in bulk.

I use the Barley crusher with 7 lb hopper. It works great and is adjustable on both ends of the rollers.

I've also used the Monster mill at the LHBS. It works ok, but the rollers get stuck sometimes. Plus you have to build the hopper and mount.

I have been lucky enough to have gracious friends who let me rent their mills for beers. I have used both the Barley Crusher and various Crankendstein models with great results.... I feel the crankendstein is a little more robust....

7# Barley Crusher driven by a 14.4v cordless drill. It's great. I've no complaints at all.

Only current complaint I've heard is that BarleyCrusher got swamped around holiday season and is catching up from all the back orders. Nice testimonial in and of itself...

I use the monster mill mm2-2.0 and love it! Ive used the barley crusher and the malt mill and they are both good mills. But any roller mill will work its all a matter of personal preference and your diy skills.

Anyone else have issues with the ones that have a free spinning second roller (like the Barley Crusher) versus the ones that are gear driven? A friend of mine has the Barley Crusher and it occasionally jams on him, he has to stop grinding and manually spin the second roller to get it going again. I was set on buying one until he told me about this. Anyone else have this issue?

Once it's crushin dont let the hopper run dry. I had that problem to but I learned that if I kept grains in the hopper it wouldn't do it.

i jsut ordered a monster mill mm3 with their base and hopper.
very anxious to see what it looks like and also to mill some of this grain i just got in bulk.

i was very tempted to just get a barley crusher but i was able to talk myself into getting something more expensive and supposedly a little better since it's not something i should have to replace.

My BC has worked well so far. Almost ate my cleaning brush yesterday, could not figure out why the damn thing was not grinding the grain. I might have to name that brew - Bristle Ale!

I can see however that it might not last a lifetime as it does not appear as solid as the Monster Mills I have seen.

Latest posts

Back