Beginnings and the carboy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmkelly29

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew my first batch (Most likely an Irish stout), and was wondering... Is it absolutely necesarry for me to have a carboy, or can I just use what I'll have with my kit? I understand that glass carboys let you see the beer during the fermentation process, but is it necessary?

glass carboys are not necessary....though i will venture that after a few brew sessions you'll want one. but no not necessary

cmkelly29 said:
I'm getting ready to brew my first batch (Most likely an Irish stout), and was wondering... Is it absolutely necesarry for me to have a carboy, or can I just use what I'll have with my kit? I understand that glass carboys let you see the beer during the fermentation process, but is it necessary?

Glass carboys show their usefulness during the secondary stage. If you are going to rack from primary to secondary, then let it age a bit, glass is recommended. Glass is impervious to air, whereas plastic is not, meaning if you let your brew sit in plastic for a while there's a chance you'll get spoilage from oxygenation.

The other thing glass does, especially in secondary, is let you see the clarity of your brew.

Latest posts

Back