stuck regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikobrew

Reaction score
I did a search in the threads and didn't find this exactly, my apologies if it's here. I kegged last night and was only able to turn my regulators screw to about 3PSI. I made sure the nut was loose (yes, you can laugh) and it was. I've never had this problem before and have been using this regulator for a year and a half no and I always force carb with it. I removed the regulator, still wouldn't turn more than BARELY one turn. I took it apart, washed it with soapy water, nothing (I dont know why this wouldve fixed it). I put it all back together, and now only have a few psi on my beer (better than not having any pressure on it for the time being but I obviously need more pressure to carb it). Any suggestions, or simple "duh you shouldve done this you idiot" :p pearls of wisdom? I'd be glad to hear it, thanks!

I did a search in the threads and didn't find this exactly, my apologies if it's here. I kegged last night and was only able to turn my regulators screw to about 3PSI. I made sure the nut was loose (yes, you can laugh) and it was. I've never had this problem before and have been using this regulator for a year and a half no and I always force carb with it. I removed the regulator, still wouldn't turn more than BARELY one turn. I took it apart, washed it with soapy water, nothing (I dont know why this wouldve fixed it). I put it all back together, and now only have a few psi on my beer (better than not having any pressure on it for the time being but I obviously need more pressure to carb it). Any suggestions, or simple "duh you shouldve done this you idiot" :p pearls of wisdom? I'd be glad to hear it, thanks!

I wish I had some pearls of wisdom. The same thing happened to me recently, but a simple wash helped. It was "sticky" inside under the screw right inside the bell.

When it's apart, does the screw turn freely then?

I wish I had some pearls of wisdom. The same thing happened to me recently, but a simple wash helped. It was "sticky" inside under the screw right inside the bell.

When it's apart, does the screw turn freely then?

Actually no! when its apart its more like a quarter turn I'm finding now (just disconnected and opened it up again). I'm gonna just soak it in some warm soapy water for a while.

I had this happen, the regulator was actually defective, and the local fire extinguisher co. (from whom I bought it) swapped me out for another one.

Mine was only 4-5 months old when it did it.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/stuck-regulator-73151/

I just read your thread. I saw someone post there to unscrew the entire screw and lube 'er up but I cant get the screw out. Hopefully I can just get the part that has the screw, the metal it goes into and the wierd little piece thats on the inside... great description I know. What a pain in the arse I need to force carb this stuff and go outta town for xmas, my LHBS is closed for the week (run by one lady and she's out of town).. friggin aye.

Fixed! I held the casing with a pipe wrench and the end of the screw with a monkey wrench and reefed on it, seems like some of the threads are probably corroded, just set it to 20 psi and shook the heck outta it :p

I got two defective regulators in a row from the homebrew shop. Both worked ok at first - then they got progressively more difficult to adjust until the screw froze in one place. Defective threads in the regulator body and/or screw both times - high quality Chinese metal working. The third one has been working ok for about 6 months. I will search out a high quality regulator next time I buy one.

You may find that you will have to replace your regulator. You should never need a wrench of any sort to adjust it.

Geez, thats just not something you think about when you buy a setup for the first time.. at least I didn't. I started kegging before bottling, when the wife asked how long I was planning on brewing for I looked stupefied and said "well I dont ever imagine NOT brewing" so she was all for buying the keg setup which was awesome :) Carbed in the bottle once and hope to never do it again. Thanks for the insight.

Back