FWH value in Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malty_Dog

Reaction score
Don't know if this has been asked before - when doing first wort hopping do I use the 60 minute boil option? I know I can chose FWH but it still requires a time in boil value. Only reason I ask is because somebody said to change that to 20 min, which I don't believe is correct. The total IBUs plummet down in that case.

Ok, never mind. Got my answer after Googling the question and seeing the following response from a board admin named Brad at Beersmith:

"Enter the boil time - as this is the time it will be actively boiled. During the steep portion not much of the alpha acid is converted."

So I'll keep the boil time as 60 min.

Knocking the dust off this old thread.
So, I understand that BS calculates the fwh based on boil time, and this increases the total IBU count. From what I read, the bitterness perception is more mellow and balanced with fwh, so I guess what I'm looking for is an answer on IBU values after I enter fwh in BS.

Example: 0.50 oz. Sorachi Ace, 10.50%aa @FWH.
0.50 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @FWH.
0.50 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @30 min.
1.00 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @15 min.
given recipe puts this at 36.3 IBU

When I run thru BS using the exact same values, I get 44.6 IBU.
Where do you adjust or do you? Do I decrease the 30 min and or 15 min hop additions? Leave the same or???

(for the record, the above is from azscoob cottage saison)

Without knowing what model (Tinseth, Rager, or Garetz) for estimating the bitterness was used in the original recipe, I would just brew it as is.

From my experience, the bitterness is a little more mellow with fwh additions. I have heard, however, that the IBU measured is higher than what you expect given the perceived bitterness.

Back