Glass carboys, real talk.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VachonBrewCo

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm sitting back reading the, "Broken Carboy" thread and it really gives me a headache! Here's some simple advice. The most common thing I read was "I use a carboy handle and I can see the stress fractures."

Ok, fact #1: Carboy handles ARE NOT meant to move FULL carboys. They are for toting around empty carboys. If you want to move a FULL carboy without breaking the neck off, use a brew hauler. They are $12.99 at you LHBS.

Fact#2: Let your wort chill all the way before racking. It's the same as plastic, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Fact#3: Be aware that it IS glass. When moving it, be cautious. People say "I use plastic/better bottles because glass breaks too easily." Do you also drink your beer out of a plastic dippy cup because it doesn't break? No, you're just cautious because its glass.

For the record I'm NOT trying to pick on anyone. I'm NOT saying glass is better than plastic, I'm just saying the logic behind some people's arguments is a little off. Please feel free to voice your opinion here!!

Thanks for reading!!
Cheers!!

I grab the neck and the bottom of the carboy with my hands. Make sure my hands are dry. Have to haul it up and down a staircase Not trusting an apparatus to hold up.

The difference between a glass beer bottle and a carboy is huge!! No glass carboys for me for 2 reasons: 1) weight - they are too heavy. 2) danger - too risky for me even with careful handling. Read in the disaster posts " I just lightly tapped it on......"

i like to store mine in my freezer so that it stays sanitary during storage. then i take it out to let it sit at room temperature for at least five minutes. next I transfer boiling wort in mine and then move it directly to an ice bath. easier that way. the hot wort sanitizes the carboy and then it cools in the sanitized vessel without needing to transfer.

i like to put boiling wort in mine and then transfer it directly to an ice bath. easier that way. the hot wort sanitizes the carboy and then it cools in the sanitized vessel without needing to transfer.

Wow. Hope your health insurance is solid, because you're just begging for an epic thermal-shock-induced carboy failure...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
Wow. Hope your health insurance is solid, because you're just begging for an epic thermal-shock-induced carboy failure...

Cheers!

Not to mention losing a whole batch of beer.

i like to put boiling wort in mine and then transfer it directly to an ice bath. easier that way. the hot wort sanitizes the carboy and then it cools in the sanitized vessel without needing to transfer.

Please tell me you forgot to use the irony/sarcasm font here.

If not PLEASE stop doing this. The thermal shock of put +180 F glass into an ice bath is extremely dangerous. Some old school lab glass can handle this but not the pretty basic glass structure a carboy is made out of (possibly some acid carboys are Pyrex or similar).

I have had two 6.5-gal glass carboys and one 5-gal glass carboy for the 7 years I've been brewing. I've moved them around using just the carboy handle - empty or full without issues. I brew upstairs, carry the carboys downstairs for fermenting, and bring them back upstairs for the keg transfer. Never had an issue. Never even thought that these things could break unless I drop them or bang them around on the floor.

I do make sure to always place the carboy and swirl/aerate the wort on a soft surface to avoid scratching up and fracturing the glass, never "pivot" the carboy on the counter when emptying, just deal with the weight and hold it in the air upside down, giving a little swirl to whirlpool the liquid out. Don't bang the carboy cleaner around inside, use PBW and soak if needed. Etc...

Regardless, I just started reading some of the horror stories out there and it makes total sense. I've been lucky. I just bought three brew haulers. Will never carry these things by the handle again unless they're empty.

Ok, so I'm sitting back reading the, "Broken Carboy" thread and it really gives me a headache! Here's some simple advice. The most common thing I read was "I use a carboy handle and I can see the stress fractures."

Ok, fact #1: Carboy handles ARE NOT meant to move FULL carboys. They are for toting around empty carboys. If you want to move a FULL carboy without breaking the neck off, use a brew hauler. They are $12.99 at you LHBS.

Fact#2: Let your wort chill all the way before racking. It's the same as plastic, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Fact#3: Be aware that it IS glass. When moving it, be cautious. People say "I use plastic/better bottles because glass breaks too easily." Do you also drink your beer out of a plastic dippy cup because it doesn't break? No, you're just cautious because its glass.

For the record I'm NOT trying to pick on anyone. I'm NOT saying glass is better than plastic, I'm just saying the logic behind some people's arguments is a little off. Please feel free to voice your opinion here!!

Thanks for reading!!
Cheers!!

Why are you working so hard to justify using glass?

Xpertskir said:

If you would have taken the extra thirty seconds to read my post. I said I'm NOT saying one is better than the other. Please read before commenting.

Cheera

I would guess people are more vocal about plastic because they have witnessed firsthand the dangers of glass. No one has been injured by a broken better bottle (or at least they aren't going to admit it) so there is nothing to be evangelical about towards not using them. If plastic bottles were harming people then you'd see a ton of posts warning against them.

Why take the risk if you don't have to? I've never had off flavors from using plastic so I really can't see the downside of being a little bit safer. How would you feel if your SO or child was near you when you dropped your carboy and they got hurt? It's too much of a risk for myself and others around me to use something that dangerous when it could easily be avoided without any impact on my beer.

Edit: I'm totally team plastic!

1) Accidents can happen regardless of how careful someone is. It just takes one mistake or slip up to drop that glass carboy and be in serious trouble.

2) There is massive difference between the weight of beer + a pint glass versus the weight of 6.5 gallon glass carboy + 5 gallons of beer. I'm not sure how arguing about the material of a glass is relevant to the material that you're fermenting in.

Thanks for reading!!
Cheers!!

Careful standing on that glass soap box.

1) Accidents can happen regardless of how careful someone is. It just takes one mistake or slip up to drop that glass carboy and be in serious trouble.

This is pretty much where I stand. Why take a chance in the first place.

I do think there are some benefits to glass, so I won't berate anybody for using it, but one thing I'd certainly recommend for both glass and plastic users is to get a milk crate. It makes transporting the carboy so much safer and easier.

I read the OP. Didn't think there was a bit wrong with it.

If you want to use glass, use glass. If you want to use plastic, use plastic. There really should be no argument here. Opinion is just that. We're all entitled.

Sweep said:
I'm an aspiring member of team stainless steel. Still saving for that conical fermenter. Makes this whole discussion moot! :rockin:

If only I could dream of saving that much. Haha

I just bought a better bottle. I felt the added weight of the glass was more than I wanted to handle. It had nothing to do with the potential danger of glass. I can't say one is better over the other but I'm willing to say I'm happy I went with plastic.

If you would have taken the extra thirty seconds to read my post. I said I'm NOT saying one is better than the other. Please read before commenting.

Cheera

I read the post. You worked pretty hard to allay the concerns people have about using glass. Why, especially if you aren't advocating one over the other.

I have some glass and plastic FWIW.

I don't care what other people use, it doesn't affect me.

Anyone ever thought of applying window security film to a glass carboy? You'll still have to carry the carboy around by the bottom, but at least if it cracks, it wouldn't shatter. Not sure how hard this would be on a round vessel as opposed to a flat window the film is intended for.

I have both glass and plastic and they both have benefits and detriments. I have not seen anyone comment on the fact that plastic carboys flex which cause airlock fluid to get sucked back. I hate this. I have to remove the airlock when transferring which is something that should not have to be done and makes me very nervous everytime.

i like to store mine in my freezer so that it stays sanitary during storage. then i take it out to let it sit at room temperature for at least five minutes. next I transfer boiling wort in mine and then move it directly to an ice bath. easier that way. the hot wort sanitizes the carboy and then it cools in the sanitized vessel without needing to transfer.

I cannot believe how many people fell for this.

I actually appreciate the "broken carboy" thread and the cautionary tales within. They've prompted me to reconsider my own practices when handling glass carboys, and as a result, I've adopted a policy of ALWAYS wearing a pair of thick leather work gloves when handling my glass carboys (with the sole exception of removing them from the swamp cooler because, well, I don't want to get the leather soaked).

I've been fortunate to have only broken one glass carboy in my brewing career (knock on wood), and I wasn't injured. It tipped over while racking. My back was turned as I was busy cleaning my boil kettle at the time, but the resulting mix of big jagged chunks and tiny slivers (all razor sharp) was eye-opening.

I do own a couple Better Bottles, and I favour them when I need a fermenter, but if they're already in use, I press the glass carboys into service. I'm paranoid about breaking them. I carry them with Brew Hauler straps. I NEVER set them down directly on concrete; always on a flattened cardboard box or a piece of pressboard instead. I still get a little freaked out by the tales of people who claim they picked up their carboy and the bottom just fell out "for no reason at all," but I comfort myself by choosing to believe there must have been some other factor (a past "ding," repeated thermal shock, etc.) and hope that never happens to me. If it does, I hope my leather gloves will at least spare my hands from the kind of bloody trauma I've seen around here.

I have both glass and plastic and they both have benefits and detriments. I have not seen anyone comment on the fact that plastic carboys flex which cause airlock fluid to get sucked back. I hate this. I have to remove the airlock when transferring which is something that should not have to be done and makes me very nervous everytime.

There is a "DryTap Airlock" they make for the Better Bottles. It has a ceramic ball inside that eliminates suck back. The only problem is that it is EXPENSIVE. Going for $22 on Amazon now.

There is a "DryTap Airlock" they make for the Better Bottles. It has a ceramic ball inside that eliminates suck back. The only problem is that it is EXPENSIVE. Going for $22 on Amazon now.

Remove air lock. Place piece of duct tape over air lock on bung. Move better bottle around. Remove duct tape and replace air lock. Suck back eliminated.

Glass carboys are like sport motorcycles.
Plastic carboys are like mopeds.
Plastic buckets are like Honda Civics.
Stainless steel conical fermentors are like Bentleys.
So, plastic carboys are like fat chicks?

I like my cheap and dependable Civics, but the sport bike gets pulled out every now and then.

I loves me some glass carboys as much as the next home-brewer...but an incident that occurred today has me re-thinking my position.

My son-in-law was lifting this 5-gallon Northern Brewer glass carboy (filled with Hefeweizen in secondary) out of his temp-controlled freezer, when the bottom literally fell out - spewing the once-delicious brew all over the floor! You would think it would break at the neck, but why it would've come apart where it did is a mystery. The vessel was just a year old, and this was only the 3rd brew in it.

Fortunately, no one was injured. Just a lot of really good brew...gone. :(
2013-09-06_Kar-bomb.jpg

I think I could. Notice the carboy handle? Yeah. No one should use those. Not even when empty.

When I first saw those for sale, I could not believe that someone thought that was a good idea! There are so many different stresses being applied to the bottle by doing that.

At the same time I am always a little wary of my brew hauler. The snap attachment is the only thing keeping the whole thing together. That's why I try to keep the carboy within 6 inches of the ground while carrying it.

There are so many different stresses being applied to the bottle by doing that.

Agreed. But it still amazes me that it failed along the bottom like that. I'd bet it would've failed there at some point in time even without handle use. Of course, no way to prove or disprove that theory now. I'm thinking it's all buckets for me from now on.

I have a lot of glass carboys. I mostly use them now for wine, since I hate hauling them around.

I've only broken one over the years, but my friend had a dangerous incident a few years ago with one of hers.

She was lifting a 6.5 gallon carboy up to the sink to rinse it out, and the top just bumped the faucet. It broke, falling down, and on the way it nearly sliced off her thumb. She grabbed a towel, and drove herself to the hospital (about 1 mile away) because she figured she didn't have time to call me.

She recovered just fine, with only a scar where they reattached it. The bill was thousands of dollars, mostly covered by insurance.

That really scared me! I think what happens is we bump the carboys many times incidentally, and then when they get bumped again just so they can break like that.

I use buckets and plastic fermenters for primary now for all wines, and all beers. I use glass carboys when I have to for wines but I'm very cautious and don't move them around except on racking day.

My son-in-law was lifting this 5-gallon Northern Brewer glass carboy (filled with Hefeweizen in secondary) out of his temp-controlled freezer, when the bottom literally fell out.
My guess would be that he put a room temperature carboy onto a very cold surface and thermally shocked the glass. Don't do that! :eek:

Latest posts

Back