Game of Thrones Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my dad just harvest 165 lb (+ some lbs not can be sold = its mead time) so i think i will make a mead in honor to Luras Tyrell, The Knight of Flowers. i have picked up 300 gram of roses, three different species, 161 gram of elderflower and 217 grams of Paeonia.
know the question are should i try to make a burnt mead, or not? have some late summer honey, there are very dark orange im thinking could be the main honey, but i don't know?

and second question, how big a batch will i could make with my 678 grams of flowers?

(in the moment, i'm making a yeast starter with some sugar, water and the elderflower and the roses and paeonia are in a closed glass jar - thinking the yeast are ready tomorrow night, so let me hear your thoughts about my plan)

Do u think I didn't get all the sanitizer out? Is that what u mean? Maybe I should rerack or something...hopefully it stops soon. the yeast has just been wild with this batch...the whole carboy is alive

Nope, wouldn't worry about it. Don't Fear the Foam. Could just be a weird yeast bubbles. Rack it as you would normally, nothing to worry about there.

I know this is cheating, but I just could not wait. I did not have a vessel made from a horn, but I do have a glass that is shaped kind of like a horn, so there it is. The ice is because I am sitting outside sipping this amazing earthy locally-sourced honey and date and pepper elixir and the temperature is 94 degrees. I know, one would have to travel way north to Wildlings territory to obtain ice, but I happen to have a Frigidaire.

gotmead.jpg

Ok, mead noob here. This is only my second mead ever. The first was JAOM. Be gentle.

I GoT (hehe get it) inspiration from a couple of your recipes. I wanted to do a "mother of dragons" mead.

Recipe:
20lbs honey
4 lbs raspberries
5 dragon fruit
5 horn melon
1.5 oz ginger
3 jalapeños
EC1118 yeast

Wanted the fruitiness but with a little heat and bite.

Please feel free to put in your 2cents. It's the only way we learn.

Thanks.

Ok, mead noob here. This is only my second mead ever. The first was JAOM. Be gentle.

I GoT (hehe get it) inspiration from a couple of your recipes. I wanted to do a "mother of dragons" mead.

Recipe:
20lbs honey
4 lbs raspberries
5 dragon fruit
5 horn melon
1.5 oz ginger
3 jalapeños
EC1118 yeast

Wanted the fruitiness but with a little heat and bite.

Please feel free to put in your 2cents. It's the only way we learn.

Thanks.

5 gallon batch I assume?

It looks pretty good to me... with 20 pounds of honey it might come out on the sweet side. Then again you're using EC1118 which might just ferment that thing dry. You might want to set aside a few pounds for backsweetening. I also might leave out the ginger but that's me.

Yea 5 gallons. I might set aside a gallon when I go to secondary and put a little ginger with that just to see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

So my "Mother of Dragons" capsi-melomel mead is still actively rocking the airlock. We are now a day short of 2 whole weeks. Smells great! Raspberry with a spicy kick. I look forward to sampling hydrometer samples.

I am probably a little late to the party but want to start dabbling with meads. What about something dedicated to the Red God, R'hllor. Maybe something with Cinnamon and Chili peppers? And maybe something to give it a ruby-reddish hue?

Feel free to steal the idea, I am sure I will not be able to make a balanced mead on my first several attempts and will bow to those more experienced than myself.

So my "Mother of Dragons" capsi-melomel mead is still actively rocking the airlock. We are now a day short of 2 whole weeks. Smells great! Raspberry with a spicy kick. I look forward to sampling hydrometer samples.

I for sure want to exchange with you, if willing. :mug:

Say hello to the Dornish pomegranate mead, made with raw Cricket Farm desert-blossom (mesquite) honey,POM wonderful juice, and ec-1118 at about 15.6%ABV and entering its secondary. Now just needs a cooler name... suggestions?

View attachment 135532

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130716_191034.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130716_191034.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 333
Need to design labels for the Khaleesi Capsumel and found a couple of bits of art to consider for the base/background (proper credit and permission willing) or to maybe just use as inspiration to do my own art thing. I like the second one for its iconic simplicity.

khalisi capsumel for label.jpg

khaleesi_illustration_viviane_fujita.jpg

. . . and if anyone would like to support an artist friend of mine, she just did this great portrait of the Imp that might make a cool label, PM me and I will connect you.

theimp.jpg

. . . and if anyone would like to support an artist friend of mine, she just did this great portrait of the Imp that might make a cool label, PM me and I will connect you.

That would be a cool label. So is Khaleesi with a boob hanging out.

Just racked, Betrayal: A Start Raving Cherry Cyser, onto 6 lbs of tart montmorency cherries. I changed the recipe a bit along the way and added 3.5 litres of pressed apple juice. The alcohol was at 18%...thought I would dilute it a bit and surpass the sugar content for the yeast along the way.
I have a FG of 1.005 and it tasted pretty good!! Just going to let it age on the cherries for a few months and then ill bulk age until next GOT starts!! The color is fantastic...think I achieved the blood red color!!

P1010828.jpg

Transferred my "mother of dragons" mead off of the original fruit and jalapeños. Put all the sludge into a one gallon pitcher to put on the compost heap in the morning. No room in the fridge so I put it I the freezer. Next day, frozen solid... Except for ~8 oz of unfrozen alcohol. That's right, raspberry/jalapeño freezer shine. Potent.

Added 3lbs raspberries and 2lbs honey to the transferred mead. It is now pretty close to blood red and smells awesome.

The shine is great! Good jala taste but mixes well with the honey/fruit sweetness. Happy mistake.

I think I am. Right now it's in the fridge. Didnt want to add it back yet and potentially stress the yeast before they finish up with their job. Close to bottling, I will add it back.

I loved this thread so much I just had to join in! For my first time making mead, I decided to go with three 1-gallon batches:

"Joffrey's Wedding Mead"

I'll be shooting for a purple color for the mead of the Purple Wedding, so I'll be racking this one onto a few pounds of blueberries. This is a Tyrell wedding as much as a Baratheon/Lannister one, so I'll also be adding rose petals to add a nice flowery aroma to add a bit of character to this otherwise fairly straightforward melomel. And since it's a sweet wedding, this will be a sweet mead.

"Taking the Black"

Credit for this one goes to p4ttythep3rf3ct - I was intrigued by the bochet style, and it's perfect for the theme. I boiled for 2 hours until the smell stung my nose too much to go near it. Being a newbie, I was afraid to get it too burnt, but tasting it before going into the fermentor told me I had no reason to worry. I added a cinnamon stick, a couple cloves, and some juniper berries to spice it up a bit and give it a northern character. Gravity sample tasted spectacular.

"Drogon's Breath"

Inspired both by TheWeeb and the chili-spiced version of Dragon's Milk from New Holland, Smaug's Breath, I wanted to make a capsicumel. I added just enough of a fatali pepper to give it a nice bite at the end, without overwhelming the palate. Added some ginger and paradise seeds, and I'll be racking this onto raspberries, and possibly dates or some citrus (I haven't decided). Will probably lightly carbonate this, too. Like the Khaleesi's biggest dragon, this recipe is bold and reckless, but it's still developing and I'm not sure where it's going to go yet.

Hopefully at least one of these is ready by the time the fourth season airs. In particular, I really want Joff's Wedding Mead to be ready for the big event.

Here they are, three and a half weeks later:
142wy6r.jpg

Apologies for poor image quality, as I do not own a camera and had to rely on my crappy old phone's camera.

From left to right, that's: Taking the Black, Joffrey's Wedding Mead, and Drogon's Breath.

I forgot to factor in the volume of fruit when I first made the mead, so Joff's Wedding Mead ended up taking up way more space than a 1-gallon jug can contain. I had a spare 3-gallon around, so that's what it's currently hanging out in. I also added a bit of extra honey to make up for the extra volume. I'm aware that that much headspace could pose a problem (oxidation, etc.), so I'll probably look into moving it soon.

I took a taste of each of them while racking. Drogon's Breath was pretty spicy, but at least some of that was unmasked alcohol burn that will go away with age. I think the spiciness from the peppers is just about right, maybe just a little too much. If it doesn't mellow out, blend with other flavors, or get masked by the fruit, I may end up diluting it.

I regret adding juniper berries to Taking the Black, though. Reports on the internet varied widely as to how much one should add, so I went with one ounce. WAY too much. It tasted like a graham cracker s'more soaked in cheap gin. I'm thinking of re-making this one. But I can't just throw out alcohol - it's still booze, and it's still drinkable.:drunk: So I might try mixing it, maybe even making a braggot. Maybe with a stout or a malt-heavy scotch ale. I'll call it Wildling Grog.

I'm glad you all are here to witness my newbie mistakes! This is fun!

Say hello to the newly bottled and labeled Dornish Pomegranate Mead. Made with Crockett Farm desert-blossom (mesquite) honey and POM wonderful. It's sweet at 1.024 but also with 15% abv, very tasty, going to open one for the season 4 premiere.

Dornish Pomegranate Mead Bottled.jpg

Just as a reminder, though I know the GoT season is not for a few months, I am interested in a bottle exchange. I was thinking six 12-oz bottles of mine for six others. I am not sure how to organize such a thing, but know it has been done before. Perhaps a post here or PM to get it started?

Think its too late to make something that will be ready for March of next year?

No one has tried to tackle the Onion Knight's mead? Varus the Spider or Littlefinger? So many options still!

Hmm, the onion Knights mead. Interesting possibilities with this one. Im still working on attempting to get a white liquid for the white walkers mead, im using almond milk and whole milk at the moment.

Leeks maybe? I mean Creamy made an Okra mead. I am sure Leeks or spring onions may impart an pleasant onioney flavor.

That's definitely an idea. Hmm now to work out a recipe. Okra though, that's ballsy. I'm doing a milk wine currently not sure where I'm going with it yet though.

I guess I was thinking literally trying to boil and onion flavor into one.

I wouldn't, Here's a quote from a pretty old website.

"I know of a fellow who makes a wonderful mead flavored with toasted oak chips that he gets from a brewing supply shop. Really almost anything would work (though the onion mead one guy made was proof that NOT EVERYTHING is suitable)."
Source: http://members.bellatlantic.net/~baronfum/mead.html

Back