Question about saving malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
Howdy.

I am planning my first batch of beer at around XMAS time and i had a few questions.

I was wondering if the malt extract will keep in freezer because i only plan on using half.

Why would i only use half i ask?

Well, i figured i would only make 2 1/2 gallons for my initial batch. I dont want 5 gallons of funky beer because i messed something up. Also, my electric stove will boil 2 1/2 gallons more effectively then it will 5 gallons.

Another question, when i boil the wort, is it OK to keep the cover on my kettle?

Thanks for answering my super basic questions!

Are you talking about dry malt extract or liquid? If liquid, you can put a layer of vodka on top of it, cover it and put it in the fridge. Use rather quickly. If it is dry, put it in a ziplock bag and try to remove as much air as possible and stick it in the freezer. You can keep the lid on to help it reach a boil but then remove it as far as possible (preferably off). The reason for this is to evaporate as much dimethyl sulfide (dms) as possible. This is more of a concern with all-grain boils but it also comes into play with extract. I used to make beer on the stove (before i damaged it) and boiled 5 gallons, but it did take a while to bring it to a boil (about 1 hour). I'd go for the full 5 gallon batch right away.

Good Luck!

I've never saved liquid extract, but I have dry malt extract on hand. I keep it in a ziploc bag in my cupboard. You want to keep moisture away from it- otherwise it will get rock hard. So, in a dry place is all that is needed for the dry extract.

I've saved liquid malt extract for a few weeks after opening the plastic pale or jug. I purge it with CO2, then float a thin layer of vodka on top. It will keep for a few weeks like this at room temp with no problems.

The one time i kept the lid on while boiling swmbo banned me from the kitchen for life. I would not recommend it (unless you need a good excuse to move outside and start all grain brewing)

Back