Advice on Future Bottle Bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafCutter

Reaction score
Long Story short... I bottled a half batch of 3068 hefe. I hit my FG things were slightly sulfur smelling, but I bottled anyway because it sat in my primary for 3.5 weeks. Well, I added what I thought was the correct amount of priming sugar, according to ounces in a measuring cup. HOWEVER, I bought a new scale and I measured it again and grams, and it was low (according to the scale) so I added enough priming sugar to make it like 120 something. I was aiming for 4.0 volumes Co2, I like it on the bubbly side.. but I just had a feeling it might be wrong.. So that was a short three days ago. I opened a bottle today and it was amazing! great taste, however, its very frightening because this thing is very well carbed already... I've never experienced bottle bombs.. so whats my next step?

Ideas:
1. I want them to condition a bit longer, will they still condition in a fridge? which will slow the yeast enough from carbing and condition at the same time?

2.Put them all in the fridge now?

3.Take off all the caps and re-cap?

4.Maybe it will just be very bubbly and never bottle bomb, how do I know?

Any advice would be awesome, thanks

4 volumes of CO2 is way too much for regular bottles. Unless you used Belgian style bottles with corks and cages you are going to see some explosive results. Get them in the fridge now to halt the yeast and then you probably want to bleed off the pressure by cracking the caps just a little and then using your capper to tighten them back down. You may have to keep doing this or just drink them quickly. For future reference, regular beer bottles won't really withstand pressures beyond 3 volumes.

After doing some further searching, some people have managed to get away with 4 volumes in regular bottles. Some have had bottle bombs. It really depends on the actual thickness of the glass and design of the bottle. I don't recommend trying it, though. Exploding glass under pressure can cause injury.

4 Get them in the fridge now to halt the yeast and then you probably want to bleed off the pressure by cracking the caps just a little and then using your capper to tighten them back down. volumes.

So I can loosen the caps and "capper" them back on with no problem? And then toss them in the fridge? I've never tried that but it sounds promising. Thanks

Try putting a quarter on top of the cap before you use a bottle opener. It should keep the top of the cap from creasing at all and just uncrimp a little on one side. Then one you've bled the excess pressure out you should be able to reseal it using your capper. Put them in the fridge for a couple days first or you might get geysers coming out when you bleed the caps. It should also be mentioned that sanitation is key here, you don't want to introduce an infection at this point.

Wow, Great little trick! I friged half and bled the other half using the quarter method. meanwhile I drank one or two... :mug: Thanks again. I'll update to post the difference between the two.

Well, I added what I thought was the correct amount of priming sugar, according to ounces in a measuring cup.

Are you measuring your ounces of priming sugar by volume? You want to measure it out by weight, this could be the reason for your over-carbonation problems.

hogwash said:
Are you measuring your ounces of priming sugar by volume? You want to measure it out by weight, this could be the reason for your over-carbonation problems.

That's a good point, I missed that. Ounce measurements are pretty much always by weight.

My results:I cracked the bottles and sealed them quickly, then fridge them right after.. It was fantastic that same night, and week(s) later. The carbonation level was about the same throughout every bottle, so I'm pretty sure those yeasties took a good nap. Wish I could say more, but they are all gone! :drunk: I took some to a brew meeting and they all had great comments. I'm actually mashing right now the exact same brew. I'm preparing it this time for my wedding and hopefully I don't encounter the same problem!

As for measuring: on that day I did both (like an idiot) and tried to find a medium.. I've become more familiar with the scale now and I'm doing everything by weight. Thanks for everyones feedback. Cheers

ktblunden said:
I don't recommend trying it, though. Exploding glass under pressure can cause injury.

As someone who's spent some hospital time and gotten some stitches due to a bottle bomb, flat beer is better than blood and bills. If they start popping, get them into a contained space and be very careful dealing with the unexploded ordinance

My results:I cracked the bottles and sealed them quickly, then fridge them right after.. It was fantastic that same night, and week(s) later. The carbonation level was about the same throughout every bottle, so I'm pretty sure those yeasties took a good nap. Wish I could say more, but they are all gone! :drunk: I took some to a brew meeting and they all had great comments. I'm actually mashing right now the exact same brew. I'm preparing it this time for my wedding and hopefully I don't encounter the same problem!

As for measuring: on that day I did both (like an idiot) and tried to find a medium.. I've become more familiar with the scale now and I'm doing everything by weight. Thanks for everyones feedback. Cheers

Glad to hear it worked out and you didn't have any bombs go off.

I accidently used 2x the priming sugar once. Refrigerating them early worked just fine. I always use one PET bottle that I can squeeze to test carb levels. Once it was hard enough, I put them all in the fridge.

I accidently used 2x the priming sugar once. Refrigerating them early worked just fine. I always use one PET bottle that I can squeeze to test carb levels. Once it was hard enough, I put them all in the fridge.

Hmmm since I always crack one anyway, I really like this idea.. thanks

Back