Coffee Stout recipe in Brew Your Own

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorifiedbusdriver

Reaction score
There is a Heine Brothers Coffee Stout recipe in the September issue of Brew Your Own. I was wandering if anyone has brewed this and what do you think. I was wandering if I should brew this or find another recipe for a coffee stout. My personal opinion on this recipe is that there is way too much roasted barley. What do you guys think?

Amount Item Type % or IBU
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 74.7 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.3 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 9.3 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.0 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 2.7 %
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (45 min) Hops 24.4 IBU
1.50 oz Ground Coffee (Boil 0.0 min) Misc
6.50 oz Brewed Coffee (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc

Wow, that's a mighty bold brew for a 5gal batch. Black as night.

Darkness is spreading...

Are you sure that's a 5-gallon recipe? That comes in just south of 9%.

What are you looking for? I just did a nice oatmeal stout with a similar profile (5%) and simply adding some coffee would easy.

I'm 100% sure it is 5 gallons.
I went to the GABF and was impressed with the many coffee stouts I tried. It inspired me to make one of my own.
I like strong dark beers...my ultimate favorite is Flying Dog's Gonzo...Imperial Porter.
This recipe jumped out at me because it is a strong beer with lots of coffee, I was just a little concerned with the amount of roast barley they listed. Of coarse, I could always just use how ever much I wanted.
If anyone can point me in the direction of a coffee stout of their own, I would greatly appreciate it.
Oh, and if anyone could find a Gonzo clone recipe, that would be cool too.

Cheers!:mug:

glorifiedbusdriver said:
…If anyone can point me in the direction of a coffee stout of their own, I would greatly appreciate it…

Here’s a nice oatmeal stout I just did that comes in at 5.8%. It’s very smooth and I simply added the coffee ingredients came right from your original recipe.

The addition of Quick Oats gives a rich mouthfeel and body and the bisuit malt actually kinda has a “fresh baked” aroma to it.

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 26.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM
1.25 lb Quick Oats (1.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent (9AAU) [5.00%]
1.50 oz Ground Coffee (Boil 0.0 min) Misc
6.50 oz Brewed Coffee (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Anyone ever tried Java Stout from Bells brewery in Michigan. A guy I know brought me one of those the other night. I could barely drink it. I dont know if it was the coffee or the hops but that stuff was bitter.

bigjon88 said:
Anyone ever tried Java Stout from Bells brewery in Michigan. A guy I know brought me one of those the other night. I could barely drink it. I dont know if it was the coffee or the hops but that stuff was bitter.
Yeah.

That's why I'd try and keep the IBU's lower than 30. THe coffee will "bitter it up" enough.

Kinda the same with wit biers. That coriander takes over where the low hops leafs off...get it? leafs off... :D

Thanks for the recipe, that does sound like an excelent beer. I have never used quick oats, only flaked. Does that require a step mash? If it does, I've been trying to find an excuse to build Flyguy's steam system. NB doesn't list quick oats either, I guiss you mean the stuff from the grocery store. I don't think I can find any Kent Goldings anywhere but I assume Willamete would be suficient.

Cheers! :mug:

glorifiedbusdriver said:
Thanks for the recipe, that does sound like an excelent beer. I have never used quick oats, only flaked. Does that require a step mash? If it does, I've been trying to find an excuse to build Flyguy's steam system. NB doesn't list quick oats either, I guiss you mean the stuff from the grocery store. I don't think I can find any Kent Goldings anywhere but I assume Willamete would be suficient.

Cheers! :mug:
No step mash required since you're brewing a dark beer. Make sure you get “quick” oats. It’s basically just oatmeal you get at the store.

Willamette would be an excellent choice. I just happened to have EKG on hand, but I love Willamette.

Latest posts

Back