Buying some Pale Ale this weekend.....vote!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which to try this weekend?

• Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

• Deschutes Mirror pond

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sierra is the only beer I buy at the grocery store...they don't carry craft...luckily a gourmet wine/beer store is in the same shopping center :)

If it is fresh, pond for the win. Check the dates and I would say buy the newest one.

On sierra nevada, if you can see the bottles ie: 6pack, look at the code by the bar code and the first number stands for the year in the decade, ie: 2012 = 2 and the next 3 numbers stand for the day of the year ie: 365 = december 31st.

If it is fresh, pond for the win. Check the dates and I would say buy the newest one.

On sierra nevada, if you can see the bottles ie: 6pack, look at the code by the bar code and the first number stands for the year in the decade, ie: 2012 = 2 and the next 3 numbers stand for the day of the year ie: 365 = december 31st.

I didn't know that, thanks! Do you know if all Sierra Nevada beers are marked the same?

Not to question you but really....you have never tried Sierra Nevada? It just seems that it is by far the most popular craft beer in the Western US. Just curious as to what you usually drink...pale ale or otherwise. Good for you for broadening your horizons...you can't go wrong with either one!!

I just started home brewing this year, so before that I really hadn't given beer in general much thought. I, like a lot of others was a Bud Light person. So no I have never had a Sierra Nevada.
I actually tried my first porter this year as well. I'm soooo glad I did.

Red Hook is the beer that has been in my fridge for the last year or so. As for Bud, I can't believe I used to drink that crap. Haha I'm still a beer noob of sorts.

Here's to broadening my horizons!..... cheers!

Deschutes doesn't have distribution here in FLA (not that I'm aware of anyway) but SN is a standard in my fridge. I'm with the both voters!!

NateLTB said:
Deschutes is my favorite brewery around. Everything they make is delicious in my opinion. Mirror Pond all the way!

Have you had their new red chair nwpa?

I have never had the Deschutes, don't think they distribute here. First time try the SNPA it is considered by many the benchmark for West Coast Pale Ales. That should give you a point for comparison, next time try the Deschutes. Ideally find a bottle store that sells singles and get one of each to try and compare.

I tried it for the first time last year and fell in love instantly. Actually had a sixer last night and a clone of it is in my secondary dry-hopping right now. Going to be kegging it early next week.

Sweet, costco actually has a 24 pack of it right now, but that might be too much of it (but i could use the bottles).

Might pickup a six pack tonight at the local craft beer store.

You're over here in Washington and you're deciding between those two? One of the best examples (to my not-so experienced pallet) of a pale ale is Mannys!

EDIT: I voted for Sierra

You're over here in Washington and you're deciding between those two? One of the best examples (to my not-so experienced pallet) of a pale ale is Mannys!

EDIT: I voted for Sierra

Everytime I'm up in the Seattle visiting my girlfriend I have Manny's because it's on tap everywhere. I can't find it where I live very often, there's one place in town that has rotating taps and they will cycle some Manny's or Lucille through on occassion. Can't go wrong with a Manny's at all but I've never seen it bottles either.

Sweet, costco actually has a 24 pack of it right now, but that might be too much of it (but i could use the bottles).

Might pickup a six pack tonight at the local craft beer store.

It won't be too much of it, trust me. I wasn't brewing last year and made sure to stock up on it before it went out of rotation. Great beer.

Have you tried Sweetwater 420? Its made here in Atlanta and is delicious, i believe they only service Ga and the border states, try it. They also have a very good IPA if you are looking for pales.

Belles pale is pretty good, and they sell it everywhere. I used to live in NY and they sell an awesone beer called Saranac, its amazing and i miss it, its actually what got me into pales, now its my fav type of beer!

Have you tried Sweetwater 420? Its made here in Atlanta and is delicious, i believe they only service Ga and the border states, try it. They also have a very good IPA if you are looking for pales.

Belles pale is pretty good, and they sell it everywhere. I used to live in NY and they sell an awesone beer called Saranac, its amazing and i miss it, its actually what got me into pales, now its my fav type of beer!

The problem with that is none of those beers make it to Washington. I might have seen Saranac a long time ago.

Agreed, i cant get saranac here in Ga and it kills me, but the Pac NW is a great place for beer in general, especially craft, im sure you have a fine assortment within reach

Definitely SN, I can't stand Mirror Pond. It always tastes so earthy to me, which is a bummer because I really like Deschutes other offerings, especially Black Butte Porter, and oddly enough Mirror,Mirror.

I didn't know that, thanks! Do you know if all Sierra Nevada beers are marked the same?

Yes, I know that both SN and Lagunitas both mark their bottles this way

Also, Firestone walker and others lazer print the date into the neck of the bottle, it is hard to see but look for it

Although the only Mirror Pond I have ever had was a clone I made up a few years ago and it was good, I went with the SNPA. I loved it even though it was only one beer one time, as I can't get it here in NL and had to get it as part of a gift from my B-I-L when he came back from San Diego. Also loved some of the other SN offerings.

It's the Pacific NW dude. You can do better than that. My local homebrew store (Hop n' Grape) has over 400 types of beer and 200 are better than those 2.

Hop_tastic said:
It's the Pacific NW dude. You can do better than that. My local homebrew store (Hop n' Grape) has over 400 types of beer and 200 are better than those 2.

Must be from the Longview Kelso are since Hop n Grape is my local store too! I love that place!

Back