Help with hops please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose123

Reaction score
This is the grain bill

10lbs 2 row
1.0lbs 60l crystal
0.25 victory
1056 yeast

This is what I thought using a 60 min boil

20 mins 1 oz centennial
10 mins 1/2 oz cascade 1/2 oz Amarillo
5 mins 1/2 oz centennial
Flame out 1/2 oz cascade 1/2 oz amarillo

What you guys/gals think??

I really like Cascade and Centennial. I have not used Amarillo, yet. In the brews I have done using these I did 1 oz. Cascade at 60 min then similar to yours.

But it sounds YUMMY!

What type of beer are you going for? Pale ale or IPA? Add a 60 minute addition to recipe. I've used Amarillo hops and they are nice for bittering/aroma. Citra is really popular as well. Just tried Anthem hops tonight and the smell is amazing.

Just a nice pale I hope:) I heard a guy from firestone walker at a dinner I was at recently at talk about not using the 60 min addition and just rely on the 20 min for a smoother bite while adding flavor. Not sure I'm convinced but wanted to try. What ya guys think

moose123 said:
Just a nice pale I hope:) I heard a guy from firestone walker at a dinner I was at recently at talk about not using the 60 min addition and just rely on the 20 min for a smoother bite while adding flavor. Not sure I'm convinced but wanted to try. What ya guys think

I've become a proponent of low-level first wort hopping to get a bitterness w/o harshness and then loading up on 15- and 5-minute additions. And I'd definitely introduce Amarillo at the end to add a touch of complexity. Maybe even Amarillo and something else... Simcoe or Citra, perhaps?

Add just a pinch of hops at 60min. Even Firestone does that. Like .25oz of Centennial or Amarillo. Matt Brylindson jokes that he does it only to keep the foam down in the kettle

But ya, your recipe looks solid. You might back down the C60 just a little. Maybe 12oz, but overall I think you've got an awesome recipe going there.

Thanks guys for the help! Scottland I may chuck a pinch in at 60:) tomorrow is brew day we shall see.

Back