Im not going to screw this one up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarus0530

Reaction score
I am on my 5th batch this one is a brown ale. I started fermenting then noticed it got up to 75 degrees while I was work ! I thew it in bucket of ice water and wrapped a cold wet towel around my baby and threw a fan on it. it was at that temp for a day tops! Now three days later it's at a peaceful 68. The air lock was bubbling nicely and has almost ceased now. (I know revvy not to go by that) here's my questions
1) I assume I'm at a nice temp now.
2) I don't have kegging access yet and want to know the best way to clean and sanitize my bottles.
3) i have never done a brown ale what's the best thing to use for a priming sugar.
4) can I add honey to the fermentor (I rarely ever use a secondary) or add honey to a brown ale at all
5) am I doing anything right at all? My og was 1.052. I think that's about right.

2) Get your bottle brush and scrub the bottles then throw in the dishwasher with NO SOAP and hi-heat and/or heat dry.

The heat pasteurizes the bottles and you can rack right into them.

3) Corn sugar is the only priming sugar I've ever used. I don't think that changes per style.

Just prime with dextrose,or maybe demerara sugar (raw cane sugar that tastes of light brown sugar & honey). That should be great in a brown ale. If your bottles are already rinsed out clean & dry,you can pour some star-san solution in them for 30seconds or so. Then pour it into the next ones,doing a few at a time.
But,for ease & speed,get a bottle tree & vinator. They'll make your life way easier.

I feel for ya - I'm a second time beginner, since it's gotten so much better than when I last brewed in the eighties.

I'm running wet t shirts and a fan in a one inch deep water tray on my fermenters - the skin reads 72, so I'm hoping it's not that much different inside the carboy.

When I tried to take my first batch from a shocking 85 degrees using your techniques I caused stuck fermentation, and never did unstick it. Batch one, status questionable, pending.

normzone said:
I feel for ya - I'm a second time beginner, since it's gotten so much better than when I last brewed in the eighties.

I'm running wet t shirts and a fan in a one inch deep water tray on my fermenters - the skin reads 72, so I'm hoping it's not that much different inside the carboy.

When I tried to take my first batch from a shocking 85 degrees using your techniques I caused stuck fermentation, and never did unstick it. Batch one, status questionable, pending.

Oh no! I hope I didn't do that!! What to do now! And how would I know it's stuck and how do I unstick it?

Well,if it seems stuck by hydrometer test,than adjust to proper temp,& gently swirl some of the yeast on the bottom back into suspension. I've had that work before.

Hopefully you managed to save it. Something like a brown ale may be able to hide any off flavors. I feel your pain though. I'm in the process of designing a fermentation chamber. I have a cream ale on tap that got up to 73 for 2 days. It has some off flavors but isn't as bad as some others I've made that got too hot.

It was still fermenting yesterday at 68 like I said it got to 75 on the first day but I got it down on Saturday and yesterday it was bubbling away it's just slower today.

Well my last two batches have sucked . They just haven't tasted right like a citrus taste that shouldn't be there I refuse to mess this one up out of the five I have done only one was great the rest were blah

Look at your ferment temps. Could be an off flavor from temps being to high. Not to mention,the hops used,light,& how the hop oils are interacting with the malts. I've gotten one like that with my APA. I used US Perle,& Czech Saaz hops in a malt profile close to DFH's. Nice smooth spiciness,but right at the end of the light,toasty malt flavor,there's this nondescript citrus brightness.
Being an APA,it fit right in nicely. But,in a brew that doesn't normally have a nuance like that,I could see where it'd seem "off".

Well right now according to my thermometer it's been at 68 since Sunday and the air lock is bubbling once every 10-15 seconds. The fermentor feels cool to the touch.

I noticed star-san has a sort of citrus smell to it. Did you leave little puddles of it in the bottles? A lil foam is one thing,but a puddle of it might be another.?...

No sir. But I do believe something wrong is happening. Imma get this right this time I'm leaving it the fermentor for 4 weeks and then going to bottle for 3 . When priming the sugar do I do each bottle or pour it right in the bottling bucket

Well, damn. That's discouraging. I'm starting off with some high specific gravities, so I'm probably running hotter in there than I want to be.

Oh well, things are too far along to fret over it now. I guess I'll need to develop internal temperature monitoring somehow, and then craft a fermentation chamber.

It was a shock to find that batch one was sitting in ambient seventy but cooking at eighty five. But I did everything I could to screw it up anyway...carmelization, overpitching. I'm just glad I only made three million gallons of it ;-)

normzone said:
Well, damn. That's discouraging. I'm starting off with some high specific gravities, so I'm probably running hotter in there than I want to be.

Oh well, things are too far along to fret over it now. I guess I'll need to develop internal temperature monitoring somehow, and then craft a fermentation chamber.

It was a shock to find that batch one was sitting in ambient seventy but cooking at eighty five. But I did everything I could to screw it up anyway...carmelization, overpitching. I'm just glad I only made three million gallons of it ;-)

I don't care how bad it might be I pass it onto my friends like "yeah you taste the citrus...the wheat came from an old lemon field" they buy that one all the time. ;D I laugh and drink and laugh some more.

Just do what you can to bring the temp down as much as you can. I've been using wet tee's & a 12" turbo fan to keep the temp down to something marginally sane. And give it time after FG is stable to clean up. I'm having similar problems with my 1st IPA now. But it's all good after tasting it from the hydrometer test a few hours ago.
And ample bottle conditioning time after allowing it to clean up in primary. 4 weeks in bottles will see some improvement. Maybe a lot...

Back