fermentation chamber help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I need to build a fermentation chamber. I want to do the mini fridge thing. Has anyone ever used a wine fridge as the base since it can be ran at higher temps and has a nice thermostat with digital display.
I found one for 150 bucks that is like new. anyone have any input?

Why don't you try posting in the equipment or DIY section. This is the beginner's forum.

Depending on the max temp of the fridge you can do ales or lagers in it fine. Just keep out of sunlight if it has the pretty glass front.

I need to build a fermentation chamber. I want to do the mini fridge thing. Has anyone ever used a wine fridge as the base since it can be ran at higher temps and has a nice thermostat with digital display.
I found one for 150 bucks that is like new. anyone have any input?

You will need to get it down to 30F if you want to lager. you will need a temp controller to do that. I think Wine fridges do not go below 40F so I am not sure if the temp controller will do the job of bypassing the internal thermostat. I think you are better off getting a dorm fridge

i have a wine fridge that i will use for this purpose, it just BARELY doesn't fit one of my big carboys in it (i'll put a small 2x4 collar on the front to accommodate this), but it would fit a more narrow carboy or a bucket fine. there's plenty of room in the top for airlocks, etc. it fits corny kegs also. i just took the thermostat out of the fridge and connected the red and black wires so it will just run when plugged in. i have it hooked up to a temp controller and it works like a charm.

You will need to get it down to 30F if you want to lager. you will need a temp controller to do that. I think Wine fridges do not go below 40F so I am not sure if the temp controller will do the job of bypassing the internal thermostat. I think you are better off getting a dorm fridge

30F Beer = Frozen Beer :confused:

I've heard that the temp swings in a wine fridge are pretty large, I'd use an external thermostat with the probe taped to the carboy/fermenter.

Hell, I just did it and it only took me like 2-3 hours to complete it. It isn't pretty, but it does work! Highest temperature I can turn the dial to is about 58F. If I turn the dial any lower, it shuts off. I ordered an aquarium temp controller and that should solve my problem if I need to go higher, but it is great for lagering as is, that's for sure!

P.S. I bought the fridge on craigslist for 50 bucks and the plywood I had lying around. Then I went to HD and bought the insulating foam 4x8 (13 bucks) should be enough for 2 dorm fridge conversions, at least. (controller cost me $26 on ebay)

Just wanted to give you an idea of what it took me to do it

Back