My E-HERMS Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDIr0n

Reaction score
I finally got my setup how I want it for now (until I move and can install 240v outlets). I swapped out my Ice Cube cooler EHLT out for a sanke keg with a 1500w element hooked up to a Johnson A419 controller. It works pretty well just slow.
Here is the whole system

IMAG0091 by HDIr0n, on Flickr

My EHLT Sanke

IMAG0092 by HDIr0n, on Flickr

Lid with Heat exchanger, stir motor, and thermowell.

IMAG0099 by HDIr0n, on Flickr

Heating element, thermometer/sight glass, dip tube.

IMAG0107 by HDIr0n, on Flickr

Here is under the lid of the HLT

IMAG0106.jpg by HDIr0n, on Flickr

I potted my element with Great Stuff foam inside a 1" pvc coupler, and grounded it by bolting a copper lug to the skirt of the Keg

IMAG0100 by HDIr0n, on Flickr

I redesigned my MLT with a different return on it with the loc-line

IMAG0101 by HDIr0n, on Flickr

My BK is pretty basic keggle with a whirlpool chiller,

IMAG0076 by HDIr0n, on Flickr

My burner is kind of Ghetto rigged, it is a Banjo burner fitted in an old turkey fryer burner stand

IMAG0103 by HDIr0n, on Flickr

Just thought I would share an update with my system.

-G

How long does it take to heat to strike temps?

It takes about 2 hours to get to 170 from 60 for 14 gallons. I usually fill up the HLT the night before, then wake up early and go and plug it in, then go back to sleep. If I do an afternoon brew, it gives me time to do stuff around the house, and get everything ready to brew.

Sorry for the bad pics had to use my cell phone.

-G

With perfect insulation, 1500W will take 2:30 to heat 14 gallons from 60*F to 170*F.

But if you are sleeping, then who cares. :D

Yeah that sounds about right. Usually when I am ready to brew my water is up to temp.

Back