New 100 Rhizome hop farm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RoughandReadyRanch said:
Now you're just rubbing it in! I have 24 up and the tallest one is maybe 3/4'! They look pretty sweet though:p

They are really doing well and I am pretty sure we will have a decent harvest... Especially for a first year

Pic of my month old nephew chillin out in the hopyard. Notice how tall the mutant merigolds are! The hops are not the only plant enjoying all the fertilizer and compost rich soil.

image-1325116519.jpg

On a side note some plants will have cones ready To be harvested this week.

It looks like he's devising a recipe in his head and counting on his fingers!

awesome project and good luck.

Love all your hops growing!! But what is your drying setup consist of? I hope it's more than just screens and the sunshine!

nextgenxx said:
Love all your hops growing!! But what is your drying setup consist of? I hope it's more than just screens and the sunshine!

No sunshine!! U actually want to get them out of the sun as quickly as possible once picked. U know skunky beer. Well that comes from hops. If u leave hops in the sun they wilt just like lettuce!!!

And everything looks great here man. U should be very happy with your first year results!

Wow, that looks amazing! How much did it cost to make the trellising system that you have there? I am going to definitely do something similar.

This is so awesome! I must have done something wrong since I only get tiny cones and not many of them. But I also don't have full sun, only until about 4pm. I should be fertilizing more too I guess. Anyway, that looks really good!

biggben said:
Wow, that looks amazing! How much did it cost to make the trellising system that you have there? I am going to definitely do something similar.

The cost is listed somewhere on this thread I forget off the top of my head. Glad you guys appreciate it. There are a few people on this forum that don't appreciate it but we are all entitled to our own opinions.

PariahVineyard said:
Man, I am amazed at how good these look for first year plants from rhizomes. Keep up the good work.

Thanks... We are pretty amazed as well. I can't imagine what they will look like in 2years

We have been picking them a little bit at a time. I will be there brewing and picking Sunday if you are interested message me and I'll send you the address.

I am interested in seeing what you are doing. I do not know what life holds for me by Sunday, but if you can send me you addess, I will keep it confident. If I am able to make it, I will be sure to bring a couple samples of my brews. What time would be good?

Sheldon

We had about 25 pounds dried. I sold a bit and have been keeping a lot to use this year. Plan on trying to distribute to local breweries this year. I have high hopes for this years harvest. Hoping for 150 pounds dried

So roughly 1/4 lb per plant? Maybe a bit more if all 100 didn't pop? To be honest, that's not bad at all. We push our growers to get between 1/6 and 1/4 lb per plant their first year. Some don't even make the 1/6th lb. Congrats.

Anyone know where I can get rhizozomes in Europe? And which are best for cold climate? Living in Finland

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Home Brew mobile app

Dan I was very happy with the results for first year plants. There were 90 plants that popped out of the 96 planted... 4 were given away out of the original 100 due to redesign of the trellis. The hops are planted in an area that had 30 year old compost pile and prior to that was a hog pen. Plenty of gorgeous black soil. I'll replant in the spots where plants didn't make it, add peat moss to the soil, and trim around the roots come march.

Awesome job. Thanks for sharing. I hope you'll share some pics this summer. I bet things will really take off second year.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thank you. I hope they turn out well. I am going to add builders sand(coarse sand) among other things to improve drainage. A local brewery has the rights to the harvest for next year. Will possibly be looking at expansion in the next couple of years.

Great thread, looking forward to seeing year 2!

How did the brewery contract go? Did you get a lot of interest from smaller brew pubs? I'm curious what kind of prices VA growers are paying for local hops, and if they plan to use them wet or dry.

Cheers!

I sold them all this year at 13$ a pound dried. Next year the price for the higher alpha hops will be more. I have had quite a bit of interest from heritage brewing in Manassas, bad wolf (also in Manassas), forge brew works, kettles and grains in leesburg. Sold to a brewery that is yet to open near stafford. I will be going to the brewery once a year when they make a limited release batch solely with my hops to help them come up with the recipe as well as brew the beer. They also want to have a meet the grower night with my dad and I.

With all the interest from the other breweries it is tempting to expand the operation in the next couple years.

I sold them all this year at 13$ a pound dried. Next year the price for the higher alpha hops will be more. I have had quite a bit of interest from heritage brewing in Manassas, bad wolf (also in Manassas), forge brew works, kettles and grains in leesburg. Sold to a brewery that is yet to open near stafford. I will be going to the brewery once a year when they make a limited release batch solely with my hops to help them come up with the recipe as well as brew the beer. They also want to have a meet the grower night with my dad and I.

With all the interest from the other breweries it is tempting to expand the operation in the next couple years.

This is great, congratulations! Good luck on the 2nd year haul, it is nice to see all the hard work you put in early start to payoff, and I am sure it will only get better from here. Looking forward to some Stafford Co. brew, once it is open and you are providing I'll definitely have to check it out and enjoy the local flavor.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396398236.415282.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1396398257.708839.jpg

Coming up strong. Need to add some builders sand in a few spots for drainage as well as bring in some cow manure. Hoping for big things this year

Took a few pix of them popping up the other day while installing an extra rope on each plant so we can have twice as many bines this yearImageUploadedByHome Brew1397601864.338720.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1397601885.383757.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1397601898.057512.jpg

Very cool! Loved looking at all the pictures from 2013, and very jealous of your nice sunny weather and vigorously growing plants...we just got another 2" of snow up here in Ohio.

Really cool that local breweries are jumping to secure your product!

I am looking forward to seeing how the plants do this year.

Thank you!

The weather is not very good today with freezing rain and sleet. Hopefully they make it through tonight without any problems

Back