Cider tastes like olives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apocalikik

Reaction score
So I made some cider about a week ago or perhaps it is an apple wine now? Regardless it tastes faintly of olives no apple taste whatsoever. Should this taste mellow in time? I hear this is due to aldehydes in the cider, is this dangerous? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

What was your recipe? How long has it been fermenting?

Some of the stronger ones will take time to mellow out and taste good. Especially higher proof apple wines.

Slightly related, I brewed a mead that had the exact odor/taste you are describing: it was distinctly olives. After about 8 months the olive taste was no longer present and left behind a wonderful mead.

Speaking of that, I have to bottles left about to hit the two year mark, I should dig those out

Heh I'll just mix it in with a martini. Extra virgin olive alcohol. I have no idea what my temp was, it was room temp so close to 70 I presume? Only fermented for 5 days then cold crash for 2-3 days, then bottled with some sugar for sweetness. Didn't carb up hardly at all so I'm assuming the yeast are all gone or atleast dormant. But yeah...definitely olive tasting so weird.

Your dactyl rest may have been too short, and the fermentation temp was definitely high. As for the carbonation, give it time. It will take about 2 weeks out of the fridge followed by one week in the fridge to get it where it needs to be.

I get the hint of "green" olive associated with things fermented with honey.. haven't picked up any in ciders before.. I've been looking into this for a couple years because of a couple friends homebrews I can pick it out in and he likes to use allot of honey..

My wife picked out the green olive taste on one of our beers recently. The two differences between that one and the other six or so beers I have made recently is that one was from extract, and the fermentation temperature may have passed 80. So I attributed it to the temperature, but maybe the malt extract has similar properties to honey? Although that doesn't explain the taste in the cider.

Back