Erlenmeyer Flask???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbase9

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a store that sells Erlenmeyer flasks? I can't find any. I know I can order online, but I'd like to brew this week sometime.

Most good size cities have a science and lab supply store that sells to schools and students. Look for it in the phonebook. They should have them.

Homebrew store had them. All different sizes, even a 2L. That thing was huge. Can't believe I didn't think of the brew store for brewing supplies. DOH

If you plan to boil your wort in your flask, stick with Pyrex or Kimax. Nothing else is worth your $. If not ... Any ol' glass thing will work. :)

e lo said:
If you plan to boil your wort in your flask, stick with Pyrex or Kimax. Nothing else is worth your $. If not ... Any ol' glass thing will work. :)

I couldn't agree more.

There's a value brand that you can get from Fischer.... Kimax and Pyrex seem to me to be about the same.

Melana said:
Try Thermo Fisher Scientific or VWR Scientific. They have everything...
are they still selling to Joe Public I was told over a year ago that VWR was going all wholesale and stop selling to the public unless you had a retail sales license. Maybe they caboshed that idea
JJ

OldFarmer said:
That looks good. Morebeer sells BOMEX. I've bought 2 of them. They both had tiny cracks in the bottom. They are made in China. They're crap! IMHO, stay with PYREX........:)

Hmmm the one I got from Morebeer was KIMAX. No problems here, wonder if they recently switched? Mine (2000ml) takes a #13 stopper and their website says the 2000ml takes a #9.5

Just be careful with E flasks... the graded neck accelerates boil overs like geysers.

If you do it right on the stove, stir CONSTANTLY and as the temperature approaches boiling, tab the bottom repeatedly. I made the mistake (first time) of putting the stir rod down after stirring a little and the tap on the glass released a 2 foot boil over all over my kitchen... from a 1L flask. Tapping repeatedly (as I stirred) fixed this.

A magnetic hot plate is best, though.

Just be careful with E flasks... the graded neck accelerates boil overs like geysers.

If you do it right on the stove, stir CONSTANTLY and as the temperature approaches boiling, tab the bottom repeatedly. I made the mistake (first time) of putting the stir rod down after stirring a little and the tap on the glass released a 2 foot boil over all over my kitchen... from a 1L flask. Tapping repeatedly (as I stirred) fixed this.

Foam control products will minimize boil over problems. It does not eliminate the potential completely, but it helps tremendously. Don't add anything to the flask as it approaches the boiling point or it can suddenly erupt. I learned this when adding yeast nutrient to the flask one time. I'll never do that again!

So glad I acquired my hot/stir plate from Chem lab.

Northern Brewer has a good buy on 4L erlenmeyer flasks, $29.99

Looks like they are out of stock on them right now, but let's hope they are able to get more, that's a very good price. Cynmar's pricing on the same size flask is around $54.

Don't add anything to the flask as it approaches the boiling point or it can suddenly erupt. I learned this when adding yeast nutrient to the flask one time. I'll never do that again!

HAHA I did the same thing! And I was at my girlfriends house. What a mess!

I have a 4L Pyrex erlenmeyer; I can't imagine using smaller.

2 drops of Fermcap-S and i can put that flask/starter directly on the stove and let it boil. No stiring.

I take mine from the stove to the icewater. I give it rest for about 1 minute, after boil, then ice it.

I boil with my stir bar in there. No problem there.

Back