24VDC to 12VDC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwain

Reaction score
I have a 24VDC power supply to run some control valves. I need to run a 12VDC pump. Is there some way I can do this without buying an expensive power converter? I've read about center tapping the power supply and think I could do that but most of the posts say that you'll ruin the equipment, either the power supply or the pump. The power supply has plenty of umph (technical electrical term) to run the pump and control valves. Thanks - Dwain

If your 24 VDC power supply has enough current available to handle the solenoids and the pump a simple voltage regulator will work. How much current does the pump require? If it is less than 3 amps a 3 terminal regulator will work just fine.

Regulator.gif

It's going to depend on the load, meaning how much current the pump needs. Most 12VDC pumps I was looking at required quite a bit of current, over 7A.

A voltage regulator like Guy pointed out is a good choice if the load isn't too much. Also, how much current can the power supply put out?

Yeah i've never seen a 12v pump that moved any decent amount of liquid without taking some considerable amps. Depending on load it may be easier to get another power supply with the correct voltage for your pump.

Yeah i've never seen a 12v pump that moved any decent amount of liquid without taking some considerable amps. Depending on load it may be easier to get another power supply with the correct voltage for your pump.

As an electrical engineer I concur. :)

If you don't know much about electronics (which I'm guessing you don't being that the question is being asked) I'd get the correct power supply for the job.

Back