Forward Sealing Faucets worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The price for Forward-sealling faucets is like twice the price of regular faucets ($20 compared to $40). Are they really required, or will standard faucets suffice? I don't want to buy regular faucets then find out I should have bought the forward seal later. Likewise, I am nto into spending extra $$ on useless stuff.

I have regular faucets only because they were free, but I will definately be upgrading very soon. The problem with regular faucets is that they stick if they sit unused more than a day. I've never had a problem unsticking one, but still don't like it.

You will find that quite a few people upgrade or wish they would have bought forward sealing to begin with.

I'm not REALLY sure bc I've never used 'normal' faucets....when I decided to put together my kegger I decided to not compromise and just go all out. So, I went with the perlicks......and they're awesome! I've NEVER had to worry about them sticking or anything.

Standard faucets came with the shank kits I bought when building my DIY tower so I went with those. Sticking is REALLY annoying and sometimes I wonder if I've unstuck it for the last time and it won't actually seal anymore.

I plan to upgrade to forward sealing faucets in the near future for sure.

One tip I have heard if you decide to go with the cheaper ones is to keep a spray bottle of starsan near the tap. When you a done for the night spray a little in any tap you used and it should help limit the sticking.

Worth every dollar for your standard everyday kegerator. If you have something that you don't use very often like a portable kegerator or a brew board for parties, the cheapie faucets work fine. Just clean them after use. They are used so much during parties that they never get the chance to stick.

I have standard faucets & sticking isn't much of a problem even though I can go days without using a specific tap. My biggest problem is fruit flies in the summer, so I end up flushing the nozzles frequently.

I have standard faucets & sticking isn't much of a problem even though I can go days without using a specific tap. My biggest problem is fruit flies in the summer, so I end up flushing the nozzles frequently.
I always flush my faucets with starsan after use so I'm not sure why mine stick so much. Have you seen those little plastic caps for the faucet spouts? I bought a couple for my kegerator to avoid the fruit fly problem, combined with starsan flushing they seem to do the trick.

100% worth it if you plan on using them with any regularity. It is a PITA to spray out rear sealing faucets just to still have them stick a few days later. They will work, but you will be happier with forward sealing.

I use the starsan trick on my standard faucets because I got them for free. If I use a faucet I srap 2 squirts of starsan into when I am done for the night and I have never had a faucet stick, and I sometimes go weeks without using a particular tap. Good luck. Paul

Only problem with superprod right now...

Stainless Steel Beer Faucet, Stainless Steel Lever

We regret that this item is not available at this time.

133462.jpg

I have regular faucets only because they were free, but I will definately be upgrading very soon. The problem with regular faucets is that they stick if they sit unused more than a day. I've never had a problem unsticking one, but still don't like it.

You will find that quite a few people upgrade or wish they would have bought forward sealing to begin with.

How do you "unstick" a stuck faucet?

Mine just started sticking, and I got a Danby kegerator that I converted off of C-list.

Only problem with superprod right now...

Stainless Steel Beer Faucet, Stainless Steel Lever

We regret that this item is not available at this time.

They seem to be back in stock. Let me steal a little of this post please. Shank size is a little overwhelming at that site. I plan to use 1x4s to run my collar. WHat shank size is best? I'm thinking the shortest one that matches my beer line size. Thoughts? Thanks Charlie

How do you "unstick" a stuck faucet?

Mine just started sticking, and I got a Danby kegerator that I converted off of C-list.

If your faucet is starting to get sticky but isn't actually stuck then you can head it off by keeping a spray bottle filled with water or star-san by the kegerator. Whenever you pull a pint give a couple blasts from the spar bottle up inside the faucet. This should clean away most of the residual beer that soon becomes glue as it dries inside the faucet and keep your faucet from sticking.

If your faucet is already stuck then the only two things I know of are 1.) about every ten minutes blast the faucet with a squirt from the spray bottle. let it set for a little bit then try the faucet. If it doesn't work then repeat the process until it does. 2.) Remove the faucet from the tower and soak it in warm water until the it comes unstuck.

I think they are great. I also got mine for a good deal on eBay for $27 each. If you can get a good deal then it's a no brainer.

I just bought a small fridge for birthday/fathers day and will soon have my own kegerator. Now to start picking up the CO2 stuff and taps...

Oh, crap, and making some Homebrew to put in there!

I have a two tap picnic system that has el cheapo faucets, OK, they suck. And I have three forward sealing perlicks on my main keggerator. Spend the extra money and you will love them, at the same time find the best deal you can.

I have perlicks, but what's this "forward seal" mean? I pull mine forward to get beer out, then push them back when done. They do not ever stick and I clean them only in between kegs. They look like the photo on this thread, but not quite as shiny.

regular taps can become stuck with beer residue. Perlick makes a different design with the seals at the front, which apparently prevent this from happening.

You can probably take the tap off and polish it to make it shiney again.

mine were never chrome shiny. They are not really dull or anything, just not like that picture. Of course, I suppose they would take a photo of the shiniest piece and make it look it's best.

Back