Crowns = what year old plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
I bought a few crowns from Great Lakes hops and I was wondering what year plants they would be? What year do you see cones developing?

I would think crowns grown for sale would be one season old. As for yield, my first year (rhizomes) grew enough cones to brew a half-dozen all-home-grown-hops batches...

Cheers!

According to Great Lake Hops their crowns are "typically a 4 month to 1 year old plant". Now depending on when you bought plants will determine if they were actually "crowns" or their field grade plants. Crowns are an early spring or fall plant that have already had crown bud formation and are either dormant (early spring) or entering dormancy (fall). My guess is that if you bought a crown early this spring that you have a carry over from last season's plantings (1 year plant).....basically what were probably carry overs of last season's actively growing field grade plants. If you were to buy a crown this fall, then more than likely those would be field grade plants from this season (4 months+ depending on when they were planted in the growing season). If you bought plants fairly recently I would guess you got your hands on a field grade plant (actively growing), and I would guess that these plants were started sometime this winter in a greenhouse which gave them a jump start to get going so they are probably in the range of 2-4 months old (just an educated guess). No matter what you got, you purchased a great product.

You will get some cones this season, how much really depends on a lot of factors (variety, climate, how well you take care of them). More than likely you'll be able to use your own hops this fall if you want.

Good luck!

Back