Price of honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aust1227

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Wifey and I want to make some meads and honey wheats. We have been looking all over for good honey at reasonable prices. We finally found a local bee keeper that sells top notch local honey for $25 a gallon. What kind of prices are others paying?

sirsloop said:
not bad.... that'll be good for a 3-4 gallon batch...

My co-worker has bees...she is selling for $5 / lb. So that sounds like a good deal.

I made my first mead from generic BJ's brand honey at $5.99 / 3lbs. I couldn't see spending $70 for my first try at a 3 gallon batch.

Will invest for better honey if I like how this comes out.

-JMW

That sounds like a reasonable price for good quality local honey. And, the prices will most likely keep going up because of the bee problems. I'd say buy some :D, it doesn't go bad really although I am not sure what happens to the flavor profile over time. But if you plan on using it in say the next year or so it's a good investment. Plus Honey really is a fantastic food!

1 gallon of honey is about 12 pounds (Honey is usually sold by the pound, not volume though). As far as I know, meads will use about 3 pounds of honey per gallon of water. I guess it's more accurate to say 3lbs of honey to 3qts of water to make one gallon of must. So, 1 gallon of honey + 4 gallons of water makes 5 gallons of mead.

Back to the OP's Q. $25/12 is about $2 a pound and a good price at that volume. I've gotten down to $1.75/lb but that was a much larger bulk purchase.

That bulk honey price is really good. I will have to call my local guy and see if he can do price discounts for five gallons. Can't beat the no shipping and no sales tax on the local pick up!!

Back