Beers in Belize!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidrain23

Reaction score
Ok, maybe these aren't the best beers in the world, but these are two of the best ones you can get in Belize, and damn if they aren't tasty in the sun!
8410784961_87c2ba8c31.jpg

And of course there were the obligatory rum drinks as well. There is a seemingly infinite variety of light-gold-dark rum + fresh (amazing) fruit juice. These were the best examples, at a little joint called Rumfish (this is in Placencia by the way if you are familiar).
8412577800_38dece7a0c.jpg

Pineapple Habanero Fizz's and a Cucumber Ginger Gin Fizz. Even though these are fruity girly drinks they were really well made. I've tried to duplicate stuff like this back home, but its not the same. You need picked ripe pineapple juice and the like. I'm pretty sure the pineapple habanero drink used a habanero infused simple syrup which was a nice touch.

I'd kill to get that foreign extra in Canada. Apparently it accounts for ~ 65% of all Guinness sales world wide. I only drank it in Ireland at the brewery, and once time it came in a Guinness variety pack I picked up in the States.

Every beer tastes better in Belize! Even though a case of Belikin is like $60- it didn't matter a bit to me.

We love Belize so much that the next time we went, we brought friends! And made them buy the beer. :D

I'd kill to get that foreign extra in Canada. Apparently it accounts for ~ 65% of all Guinness sales world wide. I only drank it in Ireland at the brewery, and once time it came in a Guinness variety pack I picked up in the States.

Its hard to find here too! I've been looking high and low for it, you think its something you would be able to get in Chicago. Its definitely on my short list for cloning, hopefully on deck for when things heat up this summer. Its been a while since I've had it (last time was in Jamaica)- it has that great raisiny flavor- thinking a healthy portion of C120 or Special B even in there. I think they must mash it low as well to thin it out so it remains quenchable in the tropics. Hmm...

Every beer tastes better in Belize! Even though a case of Belikin is like $60- it didn't matter a bit to me.

We love Belize so much that the next time we went, we brought friends! And made them buy the beer. :D

Absolutely Yooper, what a great place! I mean, what's not to like?
I can't resist posting a few more pics...

Looking out from the Shak, a little breakfast joint at the end of Placencia at the new dock construction:
8411878366_65c54b50ef.jpg

This is right outside the little mom and pop where we were staying:
8410784903_ec78bfeb81.jpg

This is someone's dog- people just let their pets roam free on the peninsula:
8410786975_12c45862d5.jpg

Cool. Going to Belize this summer. What kind of beer is Belkin? Not that it really matters, just curious. I figured that would be Red Stripe country.

Fresh fruit. Holy god its good! I mean, look at the papaya!!
8411880818_65eb6d887f.jpg

Pier bar at Robert's Grove:
8412681396_1a37b36e4e.jpg

Additional icing on the cake- the proprieters of the hotel we were staying at happened to have puppies:
8411586111_8c82fa6754.jpg

Temp departing Belize- 85F
Temp arriving back in Chicago- 8F

So sad, but we are already planning out next trip back! (This was our third time)

Cool. Going to Belize this summer. What kind of beer is Belkin? Not that it really matters, just curious. I figured that would be Red Stripe country.

Belikin comes in three varieties- Lighthouse (4.5% ABV)- which is very similar to heineken (and skunky like heineken too); the regular Belikin (4.5% ABV)- which is a pretty pedestrian regular ol beer beer; and the Stout (7.5% ABV) which is actually quite good- it is actually not all that stouty but at least has a good full flavor and you can definitely put back several of them. Your other options include the guiness foreign extra stout, red stripe, and maybe some random american mass produced beers though they may be hard to come by.

As Yooper mentioned, beer is expensive down there! Cost aprox $2 US for a beer whether you get it in the bar or at a liquor/grocery store. They just don't have the economy of scale that we have here (not to mention the transporation infrastucture). On the other hand, you can return bottles in Belize still and recoup some of the cost.

If you are just looking to get obliterated cheaply, rum is ubiquitous and dirt cheap, about $7.50 US or less for a liter of good rum.

I was pleasantly surprised by Belikin regular. It's nothing mind-blowing, but far better than some of the other Caribbean beers I've tried (Carib, Port Royal, Imperial). Too bad I can't find it in the states.

Did you try the cashew wine? It's pretty good as well.

Oh, yes- we tried the cashew wine finally as well! Definitely reminded me of a sherry or marsala wine, it has that oxidized flavor. Not my favorite, but I could definitely see cooking with it for sure.

Rum it is, then. I'll save the beer for the fishing trip(s). Drinking a can of rum just doesn't sound as appealing when you're on a boat.

Try 1 Barrel rum. I think it is the best rum ever. In fact, feel free to bring back a handle for me.

Belize is on of my favorite places on earth... Crazy adventures have been had there. One time we were hanging around the marine terminal waiting on a boat to head to ambergris, when a local fellow aked us why we werent having a beer. we walked across the street to a store where he harassed the shop keeeper into getting us the 6 coldest possible belikins from the bottom of the cooler. Of course, his fee for service was a beer, but we made a friend and thus began a long and storied love affair with that country.

Belikin beer and beach BBQ seafood is a great way to spend a lazy afternoon. And don't forget the Marie Sharp's!! You'll pay through the nose for it stateside, but wow is it good. Fried plantains, Johnny cakes, and Marie Sharp's..... That's takin me back....

It's been a long time since I've been to Placencia! Is Barnacle Bills, north of Seine bight, still there? It was in Maya Beach, near Mangos and Singing Sands- but that was such a long time ago! That was my favorite place, ever.

We still buy Marie Sharps, by the case, and have got our Texas friends doing the same!

I like Cay Caulker and Ambrigris, but not nearly as much as Placencia. When we went there the first time, it was a "sleepy drinking village with a fishing problem" and we loved it. There was no development, and it was just a village. The next time, there was some development, and after that, even more. I still love it, though, but we're probably not going back anytime soon due to circumstances. But when I close my eyes, I can still feel the breeze while laying in the hammock, sipping a Belikin, and hearing the palms rustling. Like heaven. With beer.

Love Belize! Spent 4 days on Ambrigris, 2 on Caye Caulker and 4 in Placencia last November. Just love Caye Caulker and Placencia. Can't wait to go back next year. Pic is from Caye Caulker at the lizzard.

P1010697r.jpg

It's been a long time since I've been to Placencia! Is Barnacle Bills, north of Seine bight, still there? It was in Maya Beach, near Mangos and Singing Sands- but that was such a long time ago! That was my favorite place, ever.

We still buy Marie Sharps, by the case, and have got our Texas friends doing the same!

I like Cay Caulker and Ambrigris, but not nearly as much as Placencia. When we went there the first time, it was a "sleepy drinking village with a fishing problem" and we loved it. There was no development, and it was just a village. The next time, there was some development, and after that, even more. I still love it, though, but we're probably not going back anytime soon due to circumstances. But when I close my eyes, I can still feel the breeze while laying in the hammock, sipping a Belikin, and hearing the palms rustling. Like heaven. With beer.

Looks like it Yooper! http://barnaclebills-belize.com/accommodations.html

The penisula continues to develop. They have a nice paved road heading into town now for one thing, not just a layer of axle breaking rock. We did tool up through Seine Bight and Maya Beach one afternoon on a golf cart. Check this out, this is someone's house! (Maya Beach)

8413817423_3f25db22d9.jpg

They are also upgrading the pier at the southern end of the peninsula as I mentioned. Seemed like there was a lot of contruction happening, I'm happy for Belizeans but it is a little sad as it gets more touristy. Still, not a single McDonalds (nor any chain restaurants of any kind that I know of), everything is still local, fresh, unpretentious and REAL. Belizeans are proud of their country and their unique culture and taking great pains to keep it that way. I hope it stays that way for a while longer!

Here is one more pic and then I promise to quit! More signs of development- looks like they are slashing and burning a lot north of town to make way for more developments:

8413844919_0e449407a9.jpg

Yeah, the development down there is non-stop! You really shouldn't take pictures of my house like that, though ;)

When we were first there even Ambergris was crazy remote. South of Ramon's there was nothing. Captain Morgan's was there, but consisted of only 8 rooms and 8 huts. So much bigger now, but for some reason Belize has maintained its "remote getaway" feel much more that most places. Maybe we'll head down there this summer.

Graduated college in 94, took Scuba my last semester. The instructor to a group to Belize (Ambergris) every year so I put myself deeper in debt before finding a job and took the trip. We got to the airport on the mainland before our transfer and Doc bought everyone a round of Luke warm Belkins. May have been the best tasting beer I have ever had. Probably more so because it was my first Trip out of the states. Drank plenty more of them and lots of rhum that week. Really need to make another trip down there

Back