Working on my 2nd All Grain batch-question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellis007

Reaction score
So, I've just mashed in and my mash temp is a little low. I've added about an additional gallon of boiling water to bring it up and I'm still a little low. My question is, should I keep adding boiling water to bring up my temp, and how much is too much? Also, should I batch sparge with less to compensate for the additional boiling water I've added in my attempt to bring up my mash temp?
Thanks guys...I'm12 minutes into my 60 min mash.

Proper mash temps are really important to the final profile, get as close as you can to temp. Where are you in terms of quarts/pound? You can sparge less and/or boil longer to remove some of the extra water.

Thanks for your reply. I'm shooting for 158F and I'm at 153F. Beersmith wanted 4.59Gals for mashing. I'm up to about 5.25 gals now. It's calling for about 4.5 gals of sparge water. I was going to do a double sparge, but if I add more boiling water during the mash to bring up the temp, maybe I'll do a single batch sparge with the remaining volume. I could also mash a little longer as well. Thoughts?

Single batch sparge should be sufficient with a thin mash. I usually shoot for 2qt/lb mash consistency, though depends on MT total volume. Lots of people do a 90min mash and boil. Longer brew day but that might balace out your mash conditions and boil off some water.

ColoHox said:
Single batch sparge should be sufficient with a thin mash. I usually shoot for 2qt/lb mash consistency, though depends on MT total volume. Lots of people do a 90min mash and boil. Longer brew day but that might balace out your mash conditions and boil off some water.

Okay...got my mash temp up to target at about 30 mins into the mash by adding another gal of water. I'm going to mash and boil longer. Thanks for your advice!

Okay, so here's my next problem. I have so much water in my MLT that I've floated my manifold....lol. I think it's time for a homebrew.

Despite my screw-ups, I ended up making beer anyway. Got my MLT manifold reset, mashed for 75 mins batch-sparged with the beersmith recommend water quantity, and sparged a second time with enough water to give me my target pre-boil volume. Brewhouse efficiency ended up at 75.96%. SG was a little high at 1.062. I was targeting 1.059. Thanks for you help ColoHox. If anyone is interested, I posted some pictures of brewday today. I can't figure out how to put them in order on photobucket....sorry.

http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/pellis007/library/Brew%20Day%201-1-13

Despite my screw-ups, I ended up making beer anyway. Got my MLT manifold reset, mashed for 75 mins batch-sparged with the beersmith recommend water quantity, and sparged a second time with enough water to give me my target pre-boil volume. Brewhouse efficiency ended up at 75.96%. SG was a little high at 1.062. I was targeting 1.059. Thanks for you help ColoHox. If anyone is interested, I posted some pictures of brewday today. I can't figure out how to put them in order on photobucket....sorry.

http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/pellis007/library/Brew%20Day%201-1-13

No problem. You should probably send me some just to be sure.

Back