Need help with a fault - Applely taste in bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EROK

Reaction score
Hey Vets,

Just bottled a batch of a blonde ale and each bottle has a slight apple taste.

What could be the cause ??

The details - Blonde ale -- low OG came in about 1.038 used US-05 yeast.
Was only 3 gal batch and pitched a whole 11g pack of yeast.

Sanitation was good in my mind, only thing I can think of is there may have been some air still in the bottles when I capped them. Not sure if this taste is oxidation or acetaldehyde that I am tasting. It smells and tastes apple-ly but it could be a sherry flavor that to me tastes like apple.

Any help would be appreciated ! :mug:

It's acetylaldehyde, which is a transitional flavor yeasts create while converting sugars to alcohol. That "green apple" flavor is a sign of a very young beer that hasn't quite finished fermenting yet. If the beer was bottled prior to completing fermentation, this can happen, or if the yeast halts it's fermentation for whatever reason (cold crash, low oxygenated wort, lack of yeast nutrient, etc.).

The cure for it is to let your beer bottle condition for another week or two. The residual yeasts that carbonate your beer should continue to work on converting those green apple flavors into more interesting fruity esters.

Thanks Yooper and Aiptasia. Got to be not enough conditioning time then. The beer fermented for 4-5 weeks, and with plenty of yeast. It was done fermenting for sure. I usually keg and this is my first bottled batch in years. Maybe just need to give it a few more weeks. It is at almost three weeks in the bottle now at basement temp of about 67 degrees. Just was thinking if the apple taste didn't go away by now (3 weeks) it would also be there later. :)

I have had the green apple flavor before with ale yeast. The flavor should fade with time.

Latest posts

Back