Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need blades? I have shark blades I accidentally bought on Amazon thinking they were standard blades for a DE.

Hmm, possibly. I have to make sure I have the right insert for the Shark blades. I have the red insert which takes the standard DE blades and a black insert. I know the black insert takes the longer proprietary Dovo blades, not sure if the Shark blades work in that. I don't have the green insert, which could be the one I need for the Sharks. I'll check.

I was in a hurry yesterday and only did two passes. One WTG and one ATG. Screwed my day up... The aftershave didn't burn right... The ladies at the bar running their hands on my cheeks noticed the scruff. NEVER AGAIN! I will take the time for all three passes! :)

New line of stuff at Target.

image-1089930391.jpg

I have the brush, a bit floppy when wet, and even after using it for a few weeks it still sheds, I would get one if you were starting out and didn't want to dump a load of cheddar on an expensive brush, or maybe use it for a travel kit.

The best bang for the buck is the Shea Moisture brush. Should be right next to all that VDH stuff in Target. I have two Shea Moisture brushes and they do not shed. Ever. Of course YMMV but mine are rock solid. However I am glad that more stores are getting wetshaving items on the shelves. Gives more visibility to the unknowing public that there is an alternative to $25 an 8 pack for mach 27 blades.

Anybody see that Everready 500 on Ebay right now? Man I am a sucker for green pearl everready's. The green travel brush with holder is rock solid too.

I dunno... I have been looking at a few things... I might get another shea moisture brush and use it as a handle donor and get a TGN silvertip to put in it. I already have a cleaned out VDH boar handle but I do not think I want a 24mm silvertip brush. Kinda want to stick to a slimmer handle profile I think.

I have been looking into getting my NEW's replated but after looking at the price to get em done in rhodium its almost the same price as a whole razor already replated from the razor restorer guy. You can never have too many razors. Maybe even going with a flare tip could be an option.

I have two shea brushes as well, my favorite go to brush but I cannot find them at my target stores out here or I would snap up a couple more.

Pre-Shave oil can be used in one and/or two ways. One as a lubricant between your skin and the blade. Or as a softener for the hair follicles and skin (the Art of Shaving rep said that softer skin = softer hair as it grows, don't know if I believe that). I use a light oil (not castor) like Coconut, Almond or Gape seed oil and massage it into my skin and beard for about 3-5 minutes before I shave. DO NOT use a whole lot, just enough to feel a slight "moisturizing" affect. You DO NOT want an oil slick. I've had really great results doing this. I can even shave against the grain on my neck without nicks or irritations. And this is without pre-warming with a hot cloth.

hey all just thought I'd say hi.

I've been wet shaving for a while and will never ever! go back. I use both a straight razor and a safety razor but my wife dropped my safety razor using it on her legs and busted the entire shaving head off of it so I now only have my shavvette and my straight.

my question to you all is what are some good options for honing wet stones. I really need to hone my good straight so I've been using my shavette which works great but I love the weight and blade length of my baby. anyway I'm in the market so to speak and would love some suggestions on a good set of stones that won't break the bank.

Cruzn4aBrewzn said:
hey all just thought I'd say hi.

I've been wet shaving for a while and will never ever! go back. I use both a straight razor and a safety razor but my wife dropped my safety razor using it on her legs and busted the entire shaving head off of it so I now only have my shavvette and my straight.

my question to you all is what are some good options for honing wet stones. I really need to hone my good straight so I've been using my shavette which works great but I love the weight and blade length of my baby. anyway I'm in the market so to speak and would love some suggestions on a good set of stones that won't break the bank.

Im interested in a set of stones as well, I've heard good things about the blue Chinese whetstone but it is 15k plus grit so it is more for polishing the edge to perfection. Aside from that I have to wait to hear from a good honer here.

azscoob said:
I have two shea brushes as well, my favorite go to brush but I cannot find them at my target stores out here or I would snap up a couple more.

Word! Love the Shea brushes and lotions. The shaving cream (butter) is useless! I also love the bars of soap! Only 1 target store reliably carries it tho!

Really the only soap or cream you can get that works real well from a non wetshaving brick and mortar is kiss my face. Okay besides that bath and body works carries Bigelow (Proraso) cream... Well Sephora carries AOS stuff.

So I'm using Mitchelle's Wool Fat shave soap, and while it is doing the job, I'd like thicker, creamier lather. It gets mixed reviews on Badger & Blade.

I shave it off in little slivers, add just a little hot water and let it sit a few minutes. I've done this to loose slivers and slivers kneaded into a little pad. I've also just mashed up the slivers some. That seems to give me the closest lather to what I (think I) want, but still pretty far off. It's thin and watery. Is this what yall get with Mitchelle's or is there another technique?

What soap gives a thicker, creamier lather?

Not "really". Water hardness maps put us anywhere from slightly to moderately hard. Our city water quality report doesn't even go into it. We don't have build up problems or even problems making lather with any other soap or detergent. No problems using any surfactant.

I have MEGA hard well water, and I have found that omega (in the black tub) works best with it. I love going on vacation and using my Taylor of bond street sandalwood soap, but our water is just too hard for most! (have not tried poraso!)

azscoob said:
Why do they make plastic crap razors that are all gimmic and not about getting a quality shave anymore? Just wondering.

Was my immediate thought this morning!

It's all about marketing! No regulars for shave quality! And it works! They make millions!

I work for Gillette. Questions? :D

How do you sleep at night when hysterisis is such a problem for customers yet the whole multi-blade thing is pushed as being a good innovation?

(only kidding I'm sure you can sleep at night, but the question is still valid) :)

Why are the replacement heads so expensive?

Those are called cartridges. The company is in business to make money. The price also reflects the amount of R&D that is put into them and the equipment they're built on.

As someone once said, it's the best shave in the world. You're paying for the best shave on the planet. How many times in your life can you say that?

Why do they make plastic crap razors that are all gimmic and not about getting a quality shave anymore? Just wondering.

Which plastic razor are you talking about? The razor is the handle, the cartridge is the part with the blades.

How do you sleep at night when hysterisis is such a problem for customers yet the whole multi-blade thing is pushed as being a good innovation?

(only kidding I'm sure you can sleep at night, but the question is still valid) :)

IT's been proven a good innovation. The Fusion Proglide is the closest shave in the world, better than any double edge and much closer than any barber shave.

Is it for everyone? No. Because not everyone's skin is the same.

But based on our test results the Proglide wins. We have those claims on our packaging and we can back them up.

Was my immediate thought this morning!

It's all about marketing! No regulars for shave quality! And it works! They make millions!

OK so which of our razors is junk? And which razor do you use that is great?

Trust me, if you saw the labs we have and the time we put into our products you'd understand it isn't all about marketing.

When is Gillette going to make a cartridge with 10 blades...??

That has got to be twice as good as one with 5 blades....right?????

I get what Gillette is doing. In the U.S. at least folks do not have the time for a wet shave so they want convenience, speed and safety. In turn the cartridge razors were made to accomplish that task. Then, ways were found to supposedly give a "better" shave if you have three blades. Then four. Then five. But, does the ease of shaving and promise of a closer shave go up at the same rate as the price for replacement cartridges? I do not have the ways and means to measure that but it is an observation. I do not doubt the safety aspect, I watched a guy shave just last week, he was done in literally under a minute. He literally yanked that razor across his face and neck with reckless abandon (ATG FROM THE START NEVERTHELESS!!) and that was that. I, in turn was still whipping up a superlather of Palmolive shave stick and TOBS cream (amazing combo BTW...).

Wetshaving throughout the world is only popular in countries that do not make a lot of money. Such as India. Outside of that the market in other countries is always going to be geared towards carts cause folks can afford it. There might be more to it than that but Gillette is wanting to make money just like anybody else so the market is going to be geared towards what the public in a specific area wants and they will charge what they see fit. Some will complain, but most will pay and continue to use the stuff.

MrGTO, none of that was directed towards you as a person, please do not take offense. Those are just some observations I have made through conversation in the B&B forum and my own thoughts. I am not a hater, I just chose to make a change in my routine so I can save money. The time it takes or me to shave every day is insignificant compared to the money I save by wetshaving.

Okay, MrGTO, this one is for you. Why did Gillette glue jewels to a plastic razor to give to Lochte (was it him or Phelps?) instead of doing something badass like a sterling silver razor with jewels?:rockin:

Gixxer, agreed. IT's all about time saving. We introduced a low cost razor in India a year or two back that has really been a hit.

I don't take offense. Trust me I agree on cost. It's ridiculous but companies are in business to make money. Agreed but to others time is money. It's all about what you like and what works best for you. Always has been, always will be. :)

I didn't see the razor given to any Olympians. Got a picture of it?

Those are called cartridges. The company is in business to make money. The price also reflects the amount of R&D that is put into them and the equipment they're built on.

As someone once said, it's the best shave in the world. You're paying for the best shave on the planet. How many times in your life can you say that?

No truer words have been said "The company is in business to make money". Cartridges, heads, same difference. Dorco has the same exact performance and is at least two times less than Gillette replacements. Are Gillette products made in the US? Then I could understand the upmarket.

"You're paying for the best shave on the planet. How many times in your life can you say that?" Every time I shave buddy :)

A side note, Art of Shaving of NY licenses from Gillette for it's upscale handles. And I have used, and paid for, Fusion and Mach 3 before. It's good for my wife because she's afraid of the DE's. :)

No truer words have been said "The company is in business to make money". Cartridges, heads, same difference. Dorco has the same exact performance and is at least two times less than Gillette replacements. Are Gillette products made in the US? Then I could understand the upmarket.

"You're paying for the best shave on the planet. How many times in your life can you say that?" Every time I shave buddy :)

A side note, Art of Shaving of NY licenses from Gillette for it's upscale handles. And I have used, and paid for, Fusion and Mach 3 before. It's good for my wife because she's afraid of the DE's. :)

The verbage is there for a reason. You don't see "HEADS" on packs of cartridges do you? ;)

Dorco? So on their packs they have the claims that they're as good as Gillette?

Fusion/Mach 3/Embrace all made in USA.
Venus and lesser disposables are made in Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Poland, etc. All made in statements are on the back of the packages.

P&G owns the Art of Shaving just as they do with Gillette.

The verbage is there for a reason. You don't see "HEADS" on packs of cartridges do you? ;)

Dorco? So on their packs they have the claims that they're as good as Gillette?

Fusion/Mach 3/Embrace all made in USA.
Venus and lesser disposables are made in Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Poland, etc. All made in statements are on the back of the packages.

P&G owns the Art of Shaving just as they do with Gillette.

Ahh so that's why their priced the way they are, gotcha. No I don't see heads on the packaging, your absolutely correct. But, I'm also coming from a electric shaver background. Hence the "heads" "cartridges" debacle. But that's what I've called them... so... have your marketing team get on a campaign to stop the calling of cartridges heads. Didn't know P&G owns AoS, the AoS guy said that they license it because "it's hand down the best shaving replacement cartridge". I should have known! :)

Yes, that's what Dorco claims (or at least have claimed in the past) against the major manufacturers.

So are you in R&D, sales, marketing, button pusher, etc. for Gillette?

Ahh so that's why their priced the way they are, gotcha. No I don't see heads on the packaging, your absolutely correct. But, I'm also coming from a electric shaver background. Hence the "heads" "cartridges" debacle. But that's what I've called them... so... have your marketing team get on a campaign to stop the calling of cartridges heads. Didn't know P&G owns AoS, the AoS guy said that they license it because "it's hand down the best shaving replacement cartridge". I should have known! :)

Yes, that's what Dorco claims (or at least have claimed in the past) against the major manufacturers.

So are you in R&D, sales, marketing, button pusher, etc. for Gillette?

Marketing nor R&D has ever called them heads. They've always been cartridges.
Yea a electric would be called a head I suppose.

Yup, P&G acquired them a few years back. I've done some product supply for them in the past.

Well for the next few months I'll be finishing up my Product Supply obligations and then I'll be unemployed. I'm part of the global downsizing by P&G. :( Not fun.

Latest posts

Back