Roasty Coffee Stout with high FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhilGood

Reaction score
Hey guys so we brewed a stout a 3 weeks ago and the FG finished at 1.026.

20 lb (74.1%) Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt; Thomas Fawcett
2.0 lb (7.4%) German CaraMunich I
2 lb (7.4%) Roasted Barley; Briess
2 lb (7.4%) Chocolate Malt; Breiss
1.0 lb (3.7%) Black Malt; Briess
2.0 oz Eroica (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60
2.0 oz Willamette (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30
2.0 oz Willamette (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0
White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout

mashed at 155-156 degrees for 60 min.

Our OG was approx. 10 points higher than expected at 1.076 or so.

It has a very roasty taste and is not overbearingly sweet. Should we be ok? We are also going to add some cold pressed coffee to the keg which will add more roasty/chocolately notes.

EDIT: I am asking if 1.026 FG is too high and should we try to get it lower with beano?

I am assuming this was a ten gallon batch, yes? Mashing at 156 F will give you a pretty full body and a decent amount of unfermentables. I would say that 1.026 is within the expected FG range for that mash temp. As per usual, the standard advice applies; wait two or three days and take the gravity again. If it's still 1.026, then it's likely finished.

Yea well I just checked the gravity and its 1.026 the same as last week. What I'm asking is do you think that is too high? Should I add some amylase to lower a few points? Our recipe had an intended fg of 1.018. I tasted it today and it had A medium body a tad sweet but not over bearing. I'm thinking the roastiness will mask some of the sweetness. I'm just worried 1.026 had too many unfermentables and will make everyone gassy... Ha

Haha. Well then, I guess it comes down to personal preference. If you want it to come down the extra 8 points, go ahead and dry it out a bit. Me personally, I would leave it alone because I like my beers a little on the sweet side. I do agree with the notion that the coffee will offset the sweetness a bit. Let us know how it turns out. :mug:

Back