Red Hook IPA...never again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJS

Reaction score
Worst beer ive ever had. Wasnt even close to an IPA, must have lost 90% of its essence.

I bet its great fresh at the brewery

I've been disappointed by several of their beers. I feel like they take that Sam Adams/Shiner/Harpoon/etc. approach to beer styles by simplifying it so it is more approachable to people new to craft beer. It's a business model; I get it. I'm just suspicious of their beers because I expect it to be mediocre for that reason.

However, I do really like the ESB. It's not as hoppy as it probably should be but it's a nice beer nonetheless.

its pretty great fresh at the brewery, though on the modest side of the IPA spectrum. sucks getting old ipas, i'm drinking a victory hop devil that tastes like a freshly mowed lawn right now, not fresh =[

Its interesting seeing packaging challenges for commercial brewers. Makes you appreciate your own brew even more, straight from the tap.

Worst beer ive ever had. Wasnt even close to an IPA, must have lost 90% of its essence.

I bet its great fresh at the brewery

I think its because the craft brew industry has taken IPAs to the extreme in terms of bitterness, aroma, and flavor. Now an IPA that conforms to BJCP's style guidelines seem underwhelming.

Its all relative.

Lupuline shift too accounts for some of this.

A buddy of mine bought a BBC sampler and brought me 5 bottles of their APA he thought were undrinkable.

It was a little aggressively hopped for a pale ale, but a solid IPA ;)

How do breweries attract noobs, but satisfy us hopthirsty lupuline addicts?

It isn't a fine line, it is a gaping chasm. You go on one side or the other.

are we talking longhammer? I guess not. respectable and nice, their longhammer is great.

It is still the longhammer recipe but the "names" on their beers are much more understated, more like subtitled, since they changed their bottles a few years ago.

Anyway, I love Redhook. Their ESB is what got me into good beer and they are always my fall back if I don't feel like buying something random.

Damn! Every time longhammer went on sale at Krogers, I couldn't pass it up. $6.99 a sixer

Perfect use of crystal, quite a nice amount of hop flavor and aroma.....and I have lupuline shift like you wouldn't believe!

Redhook, kona, and whidmer brothers was bought by Inbev. So I'm sure they ruined that company for profit.

They weren't bought by InBev. They are all part of Craft Brew Alliance and are publicly traded (BREW). InBev does own a minority share of this company, but has no say over the day-to-day operations.

Something changed in their recipe. Long hammer used to be one of my favorite beers. But Once they switched to the short bottle the beer went down hill. Used to be a good beer.

Back