I hope not...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porterguy

Reaction score
So today when I was transferring cooled wort into the fermenter, I decided to start aerating it by stirring with a hand-held strainer (works really well, actually). However, I spaced out dunking it in my starsan like I usually do.:eek:
I know there's a chance for infection, but how good a chance is there that I won't have any problems?

Depends on how quickly your yeast begins to kick off...if you got plenty of aeration and you have a short lag time you should be ok. It also depends on how clean that strainer was...Not much you can do now but sit back and hope, but chances are that worse has been done and prefectly good beer has come out of it. One thing to remember is that not every 'infection' will completely ruin beer either. Some may be slight and hardly noticeable in terms of different flavors. Good Luck.

+1 to above.

I would say there's a VERY good chance nothing will happen. My dog lapped up a "sample" from my cooled wort once and nothing happened. Of course santition is critical, but you do the best you can and don't worry about the rest.

Here's my general thought process when something like that happens:
Is there anything I can do about it?
Yes? Maybe do it, but probably just shrug and have a brew
No? Just shrug and have a brew

If it makes you feel better I've been sanitizing a whisk and using that to froth up and stir my cooling wort. Granted, I only use that particular whisk for brewing but I have yet to have a problem. I just make sure to rinse and then give a good dunk in star san before it goes back into the wort.

+1 to above.

I would say there's a VERY good chance nothing will happen. My dog lapped up a "sample" from my cooled wort once and nothing happened. Of course santition is critical, but you do the best you can and don't worry about the rest.

Here's my general thought process when something like that happens:
Is there anything I can do about it?
Yes? Maybe do it, but probably just shrug and have a brew
No? Just shrug and have a brew

LOL thats a fear of mine because my dogs are always roaming around when I'm brewing and are quite nosy. It's good to hear that it still came out OK!

If it makes you feel better I've been sanitizing a whisk and using that to froth up and stir my cooling wort. Granted, I only use that particular whisk for brewing but I have yet to have a problem. I just make sure to rinse and then give a good dunk in star san before it goes back into the wort.

How could this possibly make the OP feel better? You sanitze your whisk - he didn't. What am I missing? :drunk:

whoops, read that too fast thought he said he star sanned it now I see he says that he spaced out star sanning. my bust yo.

Back