Amber Weizen (does this recipe look ok?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinb

Reaction score
Hi. This is going to be my third all-grain brew, the other two batches were other recipes modified slightly and this is the first one I've come up with on my own so I wanted to make sure it looks ok. Its supposed to be an Amber Weizen and the recipe is for 5 gallons. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

7 lbs. 2-row pale malt
2 lbs. crystal malt (40L)
3 lbs. wheat malt
½ lb. aromatic malt
½ oz. simcoe hop pellets (13.4% AA 60 min)
1 oz. fuggle hop pellets (5 min)
1 tsp. gypsum
White labs American Hefeweizen yeast.

Mash at 152 F degrees.

austinb said:
Hi. This is going to be my third all-grain brew, the other two batches were other recipes modified slightly and this is the first one I've come up with on my own so I wanted to make sure it looks ok. Its supposed to be an Amber Weizen and the recipe is for 5 gallons. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

7 lbs. 2-row pale malt
2 lbs. crystal malt (40L)
3 lbs. wheat malt
½ lb. aromatic malt
½ oz. simcoe hop pellets (13.4% AA 60 min)
1 oz. fuggle hop pellets (5 min)
1 tsp. gypsum
White labs American Hefeweizen yeast.

Mash at 152 F degrees.

Just my opinion, but I would up the wheat a pound and drop the crytal a pound. And all my wheat recipes only use hops at the 60 minute mark.

I've never used the american weizen yeast (so discount this if I'm incorrect, too lazy to look up the yeast specs right now ;)) but if it is anything like the german ones you might want to lose the aromatic malt, it will cover up some of the great yeast aroma that makes weizen so awesome.

If you want a richer malty flavour (which I assume you're going for with all that crystal) you might want to try reducing the crystal a bit and subbing a bunch of the 2-row for munich.

Recipe looks great though, good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Back