Made a starter, now I can't brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytemyfoot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a 2L starter on Friday and put it on my stirplate, expecting to brew today (Monday). However, life got in the way and now I probably can't brew until next weekend at the earliest. Should I leave it on the stir plate, toss it in the fridge, or something else? Thanks for any help, I don't have much experience with starters yet!

A little saran wrap cover and the fridge are all you need. I just finished primary fermentation with a started the was in the fridge for 6 weeks. Just let it warm up a day or so in advance.

I leave the foam stopper in and cover loosely with aluminum foil when I do this. I figure that when the air inside the flask is cooled, it will contract, drawing in air from the refrigerator, so the foam stopper will filter that air and prevent bacteria from being pulled into the flask.

you'll be fine with saran wrap. if longer than a week I would guess you can just purge the container with co2 then store for months.

Latest posts

Back