Why Oak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgrim001

Reaction score
Why is Oak the accepted wood to age beer on? Typically only oak is used and I want to know why not maple, cherry, sycamore, etc?

thats a good question and am curious also.It doesnt seem available,is it even? I definatly got some vanilla tastes from oak, how bout wine are these available for wine?

Because oak, specifically white oak, tastes good when used for aging alcoholic beverages while the others don't. White oak contains lots of vanillin and less of the oils, tannins and general furniture flavors that you might get from many other hardwoods.

In one of the Brewmasters episodes, they used cedar scraps from a surfboard making company. Doesn't sound very appealing to me, but it shows that rules were made to be broken. You can always try soaking some fruitwood chips in a glass of beer for 15 minutes to get an idea of how it might taste.

Cigar city in Tampa uses Spanish Cedar.

I think oak has just become very common due to its roots in both wine and whiskey aging.

Latest posts

Back