CitrAm Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 001
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68
Tasting Notes
Very fruity with a touch of maltiness from the Munich. Very delicious!
#49 CitraAm Pale Ale
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/28/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: TRASK
Boil Size: 6.82 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 73.68 %
1.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 15.79 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 13.5 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [11.10 %] (60 min) Hops 19.9 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (15 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [11.10 %] (15 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [11.10 %] (5 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [11.10 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.19 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.95 %
Bitterness: 56.6 IBU Calories: 222 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.1 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 9.50 lb
Sparge Water: 3.89 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 11.88 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.60 qt of water at 196.7 F 168.0 F

I brought the first pour of this keg to the GRABASS event this past weekend, and it was extremely well received. Walker and IdahoDal in particular. I agree. In my opinion, it is sim,ilar to my simcoe/amarillo IPA, but def more tropical fruit as I have seen others comment. The munich does come through nicely to balance out the hops some, but this is a very hop flavor forward beer. I just thought I'd post it since Citra is a relatively new hop to a lot of us. I will def be doing this one again! Cheers!

I got a pound of citra hops and wondering myself how to implement it in a recipe. I think I might go with an all citra pale, or IPA.

I got a pound of citra hops and wondering myself how to implement it in a recipe. I think I might go with an all citra pale, or IPA.

My all Citra IPA is bottled now and will be ready in a few weeks. Taste tests at different points in the fermentation were awesome!

Code:
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated FG: 1.014 SG
Estimated IBUs: 83.0 IBU
Estimated Color: 8.0 SRM
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68%
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Grains:
12.00# Pale Malt (2-Row) US (92.31%)
1.00# Caramel/Crystal 40L (7.69%)

Hops:
1.00 oz Citra (12.00%) @60 min
2.00 oz Citra (12.00%) @15 min
3.00 oz Citra (12.00%) @5 min
3.00 oz Citra (12.00%) @0 min
3.00 oz Citra (12.00%) (dry hop)

Yeast:
White Labs WLP001 (California Ale)

That sounds pretty damn good man. I think I'll have to give that a try. I've never experienced citra, but I've heard it's like cascade on crack!!

How is this comming along? Im playing around with the citra myself except im using citra and cascade with a very similar hop schedual as yours.

My version has the ladies going crazy. I opened the first bottle a few weeks ago. I have about 300 full bottles of all kinds of brews, so it takes me a while to go through it. But we had a party yesterday for National Homebrew day and we drank about 30 bottles. About 90% of that was by the ladies who just couldn't get enough of it. :D

To all that have brewed Skee's CitrAm.... Describe what yours tastes like, please.

I had the pleasure of 'sampling' the original batch. I put that in quotes because I think I drank pretty much then entire growler that Skee brought with him to our gathering.

I loved it and brewed my own batch a couple weeks later. Unfortunately, mine is nothing like the original.

before I describe what mine tastes like as well as what Skee's tasted like, I'd like to year YOU describe what YOUR'S tastes like.

I'm also interested in some more feedback on this after talking to walker about this. My second batch is on gas now and I will be taking some to walker's on Sunday to make sure that my first attempt wasn't a fluke, but when I tasted it at kegging time, it was just like I remembered it. We shall see soon though. Cheers!

Just bottled this last night. If you guys are still keeping tabs on this thread I'd love to know how the original tasted to see how close I got.

i made an amarillo/citra IPA, it tastes amazing. Tropical fruit all the way, with a nice lingering grapefruit finish. I dry hopped with 6 oz of citra, and 3 oz of amarillo. You can smell this stuff from across the room.

One thing to note, when you dry hop with citra at warmer temps (75 +), it releases more tropical leechee fruit, and passionfruit notes. It is a deep, sweet aroma, which I absolutely love, but is definitely "different" than any other hop I've smelled (simcoe and summit MIGHT get close).

Just tapped the OP's CitrAm Pale recipe. Holy citrus! It has a nice malty background countered by grapefruit/orange with a slight mango flavor in the finish. Lovin these citra hops.

I poured a keg this weekend and a beer festival and it was a huge hit. Had a couple of people tell me that it was one of the best beers they had all day. Made me feel pretty proud. Just ordered some more Citra tonight for the next batch. Glad people are liking it! Cheers!

Back