Carb Tabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CADragon

Reaction score
I bought some Munton's Carb Tabs to carbonate one bottle in order to experiment with spicing levels in a Pumpkin Ale. The tabs worked great! Fully carbed in 3 days. It's a little more expensive, but with better control over carb levels, I'm considering using them for a full batch.

My question is: normally you boil the priming sugar to sanitize it, is that an issue with the tabs, or are we just taking an acceptable risk that they're clean?

The one time I used them, I just dropped them in. I wasn't happy with them either. I had chunks of the carb tab floating around in the bottle 3 months later. This may have been because I used a secondary and there wasn't much yeast...but I decided to stick to kegging and priming sugar.

I've debated these for the few bottles I'd like to bring to work to share with people if I keg the rest of my batch.

The tabs are clean and being dry there is not much chance of an airborne bacteria grabbing hold. I've used them several time for whole batches and they worked just fine.

I've used them also with good results. I didn't do anything special at all to sanitize them- just opened the package and dropped them into the bottles.

Back